Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2004 5.4 3v ticking issue but different

Old 05-02-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 5.4 3v ticking issue but different

Hey all,

So I've done quite a bit of reading on here and I can't really seem to find anything that matches my problem completely. I know that the ticking issue with the 5.4 is quite common and can stem from a few different things. My issue is that mine has LOUD ticking noise on the passenger side, but it does it all the time. With the phasers, the ticking doesn't normally start happening until the engine warms up and they kick in. With the exhaust manifold it will usually go away after the engine warms up. But mine literally happens the entire time running the truck, from startup to shut down it is ticking loudly. Any ideas what this could be? I've replaced the passenger side VCT solenoid. I was having an issue with the truck dieing, but replacing the fuel driver as it was quite corroded fixed that up. I've had the truck about 6 months and I'm pulling my hair out over this. I've also been running 15w40 in it for about a month, but it's been sitting most of that time because of the dieing issue. Not sure where to proceed from here and any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention that the noise seems to quiet down quite a bit or disappears when I'm in a higher gear, I think starting when the truck shifts to 4th gear. The noise is definitely coming from around the valves somewhere, so I'm not sure why what gear I'm in would affect it. It's doesn't have anything to do with the RPMs going down after shifting either. The noise sounds much louder at 1500 RPM in 2nd gear than it does at 1500 RPM in 4th gear. Just another weird thing going on. First Ford I've ever owned and also the first lemon I've ever bought, not sure if the two are related....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 5.4 3v ticking issue but different