Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2003 Harley, lean codes+no start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 Harley, lean codes+no start.

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site, but my family has owned a 2003 Harley Davidson edition since it was new. It's my dad's truck, but he always asks me to do his mechanic work for him. I'm the proud owner of a 2004 GTO, and heard about this site from LS1GTO.com. I asked the guys over there about a problem I'm having with my dad's truck, and someone said I should come on over here for advice. Here's the dilemma I'm currently in, and I'll just go ahead and quote my posts from the other site:

My dad has a 2003 f150 Harley edition, and for some reason he wants me to fix it. I told him I'm probably not the most qualified to do so, but he wants to save the money and he seems to think I'm the man for the job. My point being, I don't want to have to "listen" to any posts in reference to "What the hell are you doing working on that truck. Take it to a shop!!" Now that that's cleared up, here's my dilemma.

The truck is throwing the codes bank 1 and 2 too lean, and sometimes it wont start. The truck will turn over just fine and just seems like it's not getting any fuel. Last week I tested the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel filter and turning the ignition to on. Fuel shot out just fine and the pump seemed healthy, so I changed the filter and the truck seemed to run normal again. Then it threw the same codes later that week and this morning it would not start up with the same symptoms as before. I don't have a fuel pressure checker, so I just depressed the valve on the fuel rail while engine was cold, and it seems like fuel barely trickles out. My guess is that the fuel pressure regulator is bad. Any ideas?
I meant that the engine block itself is cold so I won't start a fire. I turn the ignition to "on" so that the fuel pump is going and there's pressure in the lines. I'm replacing the regulator right now and I'll see if that'll help. If not then I'll be getting a pressure checker. I Wish KTG would chime in, I think he's familiar with fords. There is only 1 fuel filter underneath the drivers side of the car. The truck won't sputter or get weak at all when it's running. It only ever has this problem occasionally when trying to start. Once running, it has tons of power ad runs smooth.
Alright, I think I may have found the problem. Swapped out the regulator and headed over to checker to reset the codes. While checking them I found they were the same ones as before, bank 1 and 2 lean, and the FF data said it occured during closed loop and while rpms were at 615 rpm, so that sounds like start up to me. Another thing I found was a theft fault of some kind. I thought that was kind of weird, but I just erased the codes, so I could see if they would come back. Try to start the car after and the damn thing won't start. Just like before, it turns over just fine, but for some reason it wont start up. This time ,however, I notice that while trying to start it that the red "theft" light was blinking quickly, and that got me thinking that maybe the anti theft system is preventing the car from starting. Sure enough I google it on my iphone and see that people have had problems with their fords not starting because their anti theft systems freak out and prevent the car from starting up. This all makes sense because the truck runs just fine when it's actually going. It only ever has issues when trying to start. I went ahead and pulled the fuse for the anti theft system, turned ignition to "on", then turned off, plugged fuse back in, and noticed that this time when I turned ignition to "on" that the "theft" light wasn't blinking. Car started right up. WTF is wrong with the anti theft system?
Basically, the two problems may or may not be unrelated, but I think the anti-theft system is preventing the car from starting. The lean codes are thrown during start up, so that's why I think they're related. Does the anti-theft shut off fuel, fuel and spark, or just spark? I'm not sure what's wrong. I've replaced the fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator so far. The fuel pump seemed good to me. Any ideas guys? I appreciate the help and thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine done that once the same thing so take off battery cables and put back on does the theft light blink when turning over
Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 PM

After I did that I got in put in the key an flipped it on and let it sit for like a min or two an then started it worked fine
Old 02-11-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine done that once the same thing so take off battery cables and put back on does the theft light blink when turning over
Yeah, when I got stuck at checker I unhooked the battery cables and that had no effect on it. The anti-theft seemed to reset when I pulled the fuse for the system, turned ignition to "on", turned off ignition, put fuse back in. The red "theft" light was blinking rapidly when trying to start when it wouldn't work, but red light was off when truck started after pulling the fuse. It's a very strange problem.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Beats me

Quick Reply: 2003 Harley, lean codes+no start.