Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2003 clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2003 clunking from rear

Hey guys, first off thank you for any input anyone has on this im at a loss. Ive got a 2003 supercrew with 145,000 miles on her. When ever i turn and go over even the slightest incline i hear this huge popping clunkety noise coming from the rear. U joints replaced last summer so i ruled that out, plenty of fluid in the differential. I jumped up and down in the bed to see if i could recreate to no avail. It seems like it only happens when the truck is twisted. Any help is greatly appreciated! THANKS!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

You might want to add some "Friction Fluid Modifier" to the gear oil. Under a twist or turn the clutches in the limited slip rearend may be sticking and they will pop or clunk when the break free. Very common issue.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 05 is doing the same thing. When I'm driving around on back roads with slight inclines. It doesn't do it all the time though. I had my transmission serviced and replaced differential fluid. And it still does it.

Quick Reply: 2003 clunking from rear