Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2002 super crew rear differential problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my first post and need some help deciding what to do So I noticed some noise from the rear and I thought it was tire noise due to tire rotation. However it wouldn't go away for couple thousand miles I took it to the local dealer (norm reeves in Cerritos CA) and was told that it needs rear end rebuilt or complete replacement (estimate $1900-2900) So I took it to a local mechanic and he said that right rear wheel hub bearing is bad and makes most noise. Also axel and left wheel bearing are making some noise but not as bad as right wheel bearing. The mechanic said just to fix the right wheel bearing it will be about $400-500 or complete used rear end swap would be $1100-1200. I asked him about complete rebuild of rear end and he recommends used rear end swap instead of rebuild. My truck has 180,000 miles and other than the rear end going, it is in pretty good shape What is better? Rear end rebuild or used swap? Or just fix that right rear wheel bearing and see if axel and left side goes bad? I would like to keep this truck for another 50-60,000 miles Thanks for your help! 45
By the way, the truck had rear differential service done about 5000 miles ago (just seal and fluid exchange done by dealer)

Last edited by 45user; 06-25-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 2002 super crew rear differential problem