Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2002 FX4 Sluggish HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2002 FX4 Sluggish HELP

Hey,

so i don't know much about trucks, sorry i'm a computer geek not a motor head. but I've had this 2002 for about 2 years now. Its been running great when i lived in southern Idaho. I would take it off road and everything, never had a problem. lots of power, amazing climb ability everything.

So we moved to Beaverton, Oregon. and when we first got here after about a week i noticed that the truck started this little shimmy, normally when the truck is idel or when i just barly excellerate, but didn't think to much of it. Its been about 2 months now and the small shimmy has turned into a large shimmy. when i'm sitting idel the truck will shimmy enought that i can kind of hear my dule exhaust raddel a bit, and my antenna is moveing. if i just barly push on the excellerator as to not move very fast the truck raddels but seems to be ok after leaveing first gear or the rpms get higher don't know which one. If i sit idel at a stop light, (this just started happening) the truck will die.. it has only happened once so it could have been a fluke. I've also noticed the check engin light came on. so i'm not sure at this point.

I'm thinking that its the fuel filter, my father suggested its the timeing belt (do to the altitude change) but i have not clue. I know this is alot of story and not alot of info but ask questions and i can answer them to help you.

thanks in advance.

jason.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:08 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

tune up would do it well. New plugs, maybe new coils, will help.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:17 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be a dirty or failing IAC [idle air controller].
Old 09-01-2008, 07:27 PM

is there any way to tell what it is, with out just shooting in the dark?

i'm thinking of setting up an appointment with the local ford dealership to take a look, but that could get spendy quickly.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Good morning and welcome. Being a motor head and having to cross the line for help, this repair should be easier for you to do. Have the codes pulled, the CEL being on is asking for help. Tell us the codes, and the engine, someone with more experience at the geek end of the repair will be along. The roughness and antenna shaking is a sign of an engine miss. Don't think altitude or the timing is the issue. The codes will direct you to the fault and eventual repair. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:26 PM

hey,

well i just wanted to post and update, and thank everyone for there suggestions. I Took the truck to a garage, my previous "guess" was some what correct, there was a clog in the fuel filter, but he said the main cause was that my engine was miss firing, something to do with the spark plugs and the coil that works with them. I had him fix it and it seems to be running great.

Canyon Auto Repair (Beaverton Oregon) to the rescue.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the feed back, we all appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 2002 FX4 Sluggish HELP