Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2002 F150 5.4 misfire end engine too lean codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 F150 5.4 misfire end engine too lean codes

My son informed me his supercab has been having some issues for about a few weeks now. His truck has been running rough and hesitates at different speeds when he attempts to accelerate; not to mention, truck runs kind of sluggishly. Using my SCT last week, three codes showed up (P0443, P0171 and I forget the last one). The P0443 has been there since he bought the truck and we have yet to figure it out. We've replaced the evap solenoid up front and the valve at the gas tank and the CEL continues to return; however, this code has not seemed to affect driveability. Getting back to the other two codes that showed up a couple of weeks ago, my tuner is indicating "bank 1 too lean" and "cylinder 1 misfire". The first thing we did was replace the COP on #1 cylinder and inspected the plug. The plug looked good so we checked the gap, installed and went in with the new COP. We also cleaned the MAF and replaced his air and fuel filter. I also checked the fuel pressure and he was getting 35-37psi. The throttle body looked clean so did not do anything with. I cleared the codes and he left for home.

The next morning, he indicating the truck was driving fine for the first few miles and began acting up again in the same manner. I pulled code P0171 and P1000. I believe the P1000 isn't much of a concern, or so I have read. I was considering replacing the O2 sensor but did not. Instead, we checked for vacuum leaks (again) and could not identify any. We also replaced the TPS. After clearing the codes again, he drove the truck about 5 miles down the interstate and called me and said the truck was running great. However, just short of getting to his girlfriend's house it began acting up again. The next day I checked for codes and was still getting the "cylinder 1 misfire" and P1000. I suggested taking it to a mechanic.

The truck has now been at the mechanic's for three days. They've performed a smoke test and ruled out a vacuum leak anywhere. They've also swapped the coils and injectors and continue to get the misfire code on cylinder 1. They said they were going to look at the injector wiring harness next and said worst case it could even be the PCM. I guess I'm looking for some advice from others more experienced than I on what the problem could be. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:08 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Might want to check compression if it hasn't already been done.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:17 AM

yes, the compression was checked and found at 180-190psi; forgot to mention that earlier. BTW, my son was informed by the shop that the PCM is bad and they are currently looking for one that is "pre-loaded" so he doesn't have to go to the dealership for programming or other. Any thoughts on this?? I figured my son would be experiencing more problems for it to be the PCM?? Any more thoughts would be appreciated. thanks
Old 09-21-2015, 10:56 AM

the shop has indicated there is a 2-3 week delay on pcm from Ford. They are checking oreilly's and other parts houses. That I am aware, there is no codes indicating the PCM has an internal failure. Can a PCM fail without there being a code indicating this? any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2002 F150 5.4 misfire end engine too lean codes