Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2001 F150 XL sitting in driveway for over a year

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:35 PM
What the...?!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F150 XL sitting in driveway for over a year

Howdy everybody! I own a 2001 F150 XL V6 with 120K + miles that has been sitting in my driveway for over a year. I had a company vehicle, so I didn't drive it. I started it occasionally, that was all. I changed out a dead battery, and the truck started after a slight hesitation. I had added a water remover to the fuel, (tank was full when I parked it), and she seems to be running alright. I have not taken her out on the road, though. I think that the fluids need to be changed out, at the very least. I also noticed that the A/C pump starts and stops. I was told that it was probably due to low coolant level/pressure because it hadn't been started in a long time. I've been laid off, and need to start driving this truck again. What do you guys suggest I do before I start driving her down the road again? I plan on changing out the fluids this weekend. I'll probably change out plugs and wires too. Anything else I should know about servicing a vehicle that's sat for so long? Thanks!

Big Dan
Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Depends on whether you're conservative or liberal with your maintenance approach. Of course, everyone has their own opinions and ideas as to what they would do, but I'll share mine here with the hope that some other members will be along to share their perspectives, too.

On the conservative side, would recommend changing the engine oil, and checking the A/C freon charge - defrost works much better with the dehumidifying properties of A/C.

Also, inspect the coolant - if it's anything other than the pretty green or orange - recommend to change that out also as well as flush the cooling system. If there's nasties in the coolant, chances are good that some of their friends have dropped out along the way. If the coolant looks good, recommend to at least test for adequate freeze protection - (-34degF) is a good target - represents a 50/50 mixture.

Fuel would be a concern, suggest to get that tank run out perhaps with a couple of longer runs - gets the drier you added well-circulated to pick up any and all moisture that may have accumulated. A can of StaBil would've been good, but too late for that now. You did the right thing by topping the tank off before parking. After you get some fresh fuel in there, a can of SeaFoam or other crud cleaner would be something to consider - in the tank should be good - don't think there's a need to introduce directly into the manifold at this point unless you notice operating issues.

Other than that - check the remaining fluids - brake, power steering, windshield washer, axles, tranny, etc - and top off as needed, noting if any are significantly down - may bear further investigation.

Of course, you can go to the other extreme and just change the tranny fluid, axle oils, plugs and wires, and the like. But consider that if these things were in good shape when you parked it - likely little has changed from just sitting. Perhaps inspect each after a drive - pull the diffy plugs and stick your finger in there to see what the oil looks like, check the tranny fluid through the fill plug for manuals and dipstick for autos to see if things look good there, and so on. Whereas, starting the vehicle occasionally and not running for longer periods is hard on the engine oil - it should be changed regardless.

Guess the extent of what you do depends on how deep your pockets are and how particular you are about the vehicle.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:32 AM
What the...?!

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had a chance to work on my truck this weekend. I'll start tomorrow. Right now, pockets aren't too deep. Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 PM

check condition of tires, if they sit that long uncovered from the sun, its not too good.

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 XL sitting in driveway for over a year