Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2001 f150 fx4 strange prob

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 f150 fx4 strange prob

OK first off I usually do the oil changes myself and I run mobile 10w30 synthetic. I took the truck into the shop to get tires rotated and had them just change the oil while they were at it. Ran conventional 5w20 castrol. Now randomly I'll hear some tapping, sounds like a lifter or something and it's pretty loud, then it'll just go away and the truck sounds great. It's not just on startup either it just randomly comes and goes while driving. Do you guys think this is just the oil and I need to switch back to 10w30?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 PM

Nevermind the idiots that changed it didn't even put oil in it. I did it myself and there was half a quart in it. Never again!!!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 PM
2003 F-150 King Ranch

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by michealmyers
Nevermind the idiots that changed it didn't even put oil in it. I did it myself and there was half a quart in it. Never again!!!!!
wow.. I'd go back and demand a new motor if it doesn't stop.. That might have fd your motor
Old 04-15-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Some of the people who work at those places should of been ministers, because some of the stuff they do makes you want to say, Jesus Christ!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:30 AM

Put 10/30 mobile 1 synthetic back in it and Motorcraft filter and she seems to be running fine. Even the dang filter they had on was at least half the size of the 820s.

Planning to go by there today and give them a piece of my mind. I've heard horror stories like this before but never figured I'd experience it. I let someone change it one time and look what happens. I had the oil catch pan up ready to catch all the oil draining out and my jaw hit the floor when I saw that little bit come out. I guess these guys get so many cars in and out and they can't remember what the heck they're doing.

I'm kinda worried that it might have caused some damage but it seems to be running great so far. 173K miles so you can see my cause for concern. Hoping to squeeze a little more life out of this truck before I get something else.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever wind up going down there and speaking with them? I would have been there and on their butts like back pockets on jeans!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM

yep told the owner the story, showed him the half quart that came out of the truck and told him it's obvious that whoever worked on it didn't put anything back in. Not only that but they didn't drain it completely which I guess also helped save the truck with what little oil it had. Owner said they'd pull it around and look at it, told him I did it myself.......didn't offer to refund my damn money or anything, just got a "sorry bout that" line. I told him I just filled it up with Mobile 1 synthetic I'll be damned if i'm going to let them screw it over again.

I've done plenty of business with these guys too, heck I buy my tires there. People like this don't deserve the business, I'll go elsewhere where somebody will appreciate the business and treat the customers right.

Quick Reply: 2001 f150 fx4 strange prob