Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2000 f150 4.6 power loss

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 f150 4.6 power loss

hello, i am new here. i just got my first f-150 on monday. the truck is solid, i just did a tune up. plugs, oil, air, pcv, and tranny fluid. since i do not know the trucks past. it is an 00 with 135k on it.

the engine light was on when i got it, i scanned it...do not remember the numbers, but it was lean on fuel/air mixture bank one and two, and random misfire. the light has been off since the "tune up".

my mother has a 2006 with a 5.4 and that truck moves, mine takes about 35 seconds to go 0-60, and up hills it will ride at 4500 rpm but be doing 30 miles an hour, i get passed by 18 wheelers.

when i bought this truck i sort of noticed it, it was acting similar, however i wasnt flooring it or anything because i was driving with no registration or insurance. i did the tune up as soon as i got home, waiting for plate/insurance.

i know the truck has a true dual exaust, and my ideas are: bad coil pack, clogged cat, or vaccum leak in the intake..... i dont know where to start testing any of them, has anyone had the same issue, or know where to help me begin troubleshooting?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:16 PM

i got into a little further diag time, incase any of this info will help anyone help me.

i did several 0-60 test runs:

1. with accelerator depressed 1/4 i did in 38 seconds
2. when i floorded it i did in 1minute an 22 seconds.

the truck runs fine if i drive like my grandmother would. it seems to only to be struggling under load, the rpms jump but the truck doesnt move.

now i am def pointing to clogged cat, i am going to visit family in an hour before the holidays and wont be able to work on this truck til monday.

first thing monday, i will cut the header pipes right before the cat to see if this solves my problem(of course ill do it in a way where this can be patched if it doesnt fix it).

i am stuck now between clogged cat or fowled fuel pump.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 PM

thanks for all the help. i figured it out today. i should have bought the chevy, i got ripped off on this truck. the intake valves are worn.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
AcrophobiA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

impatient.. should have had it checked out before you bought it... u were so impateint to buy it that i guess u overlooked any problem you may run into with buying a used vehicle.. ::rolls eyes::
Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM

i bought it at an auto auction, no chance to look over. it ran and drove through, valid inspection, good breaks, tires. all i knew. i bought it for 2000. i am trying to private sell now.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 PM
AcrophobiA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well.. then.. u got some as-is no warranty and what do you expect for a $2000 truck... **** with a repaired motor u should have a nice fullsize truck for under 3-5k!

Quick Reply: 2000 f150 4.6 power loss