Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1999 F-150: Axle Bearing Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1999 F-150: Axle Bearing Repair

I am in the process of replacing clutch packs on the TracLoc Differential, and in the process opted to replace bearings and seals. The seals I got are Timken problem solvers; they offset the new bearing and seal positions by having the bearing and seal as one unit and shifting the position of the bearing and seal.

So the concern I have is that the new bearing surface is going to ride on the axle shaft where the seal used to ride. The seal had worn a small groove. The groove measures .005" and will be directly in the center of the new bearings.

Is it acceptable to have the bearing ride on this or should I rip them out and go with original setup?

Also, these bearings have an inner seal and outer seal preventing diff fluid into the bearings... Do I need to add any extra grease or diff fluid within the bearing or is the existing prepacked factory grease all these things need? The literature that comes with the bearing is rarther generic and states "Lubrication is accomplished through the axle tube by differential fluid, just like the OE design." but that cannot be true due to the inner seal ... ?
Source: http://www.timken.com/en-Us/products...rBearings.aspx

Last edited by shoon; 06-19-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Axle savers we call them, if the bearing surface they move to is also pitted then you need new axles, and yes gear oil will get to them. It's always a good idea to give the bearing a little added grease for initial run as it will be dry for a little bit until the gear oil gets to them.

With new axles you can still use the axle saver bearings or put original back in if you like.

Quick Reply: 1999 F-150: Axle Bearing Repair