Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1997 F150: Scraping Sound Coming from the Rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 F150: Scraping Sound Coming from the Rear

Little background on my truck:
XL Extended Cab 2WD V6
3rd Owner and I've had it for 18 months
181,xxx miles (164,xxx when I bought it)
All new brakes, replaced less than a year ago
Front disc/rear drums
Maintenance records go back 8 years, but I don;t recall seeing any work done on the rear.

I have a scraping sound coming from the rear of my truck. Scrape gets more rapid the faster that I drive. Sound seems to continue when I hit the brakes. Best I can describe, the scraping sounds metal on metal, not unlike the sound coming from disc brakes when they need replaced.

I know this is kinda vague, but I'm just looking for "check on this" type stuff at this point. I'm headed to a friends house tonight and we're going to jack up the rear of the truck and see if we can't figure out where its coming from. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

When you installed the drum brake shoes if you did not replace all the springs and hardware you may have a shoe that is scraping the drum. This would especially be true if the shoe retaining springs with the pin that looks like a nail has come loose or fallen off. Pull the drums and inspect the shoes and drums for a wear spot. Also there are 2 widths of shoes, 1 7/8" and 2 1/4" are most common. If you installed the wrong size of shoe it will fit but scrape. Good luck
Old 04-13-2014, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck started sounding the same as your truck today, I backed out of my drive this morning, and when I hit the brake I heard a loud click. Iam sure a cable or spring broke, I will get a replacement hardware kit and brake shoes tomorrow, and do both sides.

Quick Reply: 1997 F150: Scraping Sound Coming from the Rear