Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1997 F150 Fuel Pump? I think...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 F150 Fuel Pump? I think...

I drive a 1997 F150, 4.2L V6, 2WD, 117,000miles. I've had this vehicle since 2005. Never had any major problems with it.

Recently in Ohio we've had some severely low temperatures and one day in particular it was -16 degrees with -40 windchill. I was unable to get my truck started but I figured it was the cold. The next day we were about 15 degrees outside so I got a jump and and the truck started and this is when I started to notice a problem.

It started small at first. I would be driving and randomly the vehicle would sputter with no acceleration then kick back in quickly. And every once in a while at cruising speed it would I would feel a quick jump or hicup. I replaced the Battery(it needed it anyway) and decided to replace the fuel filter because it hadn't even been done to my knowledge. Yet the problem persists. I had the computer coded and it gave me a P0302, misfire on cylinder 2. I thought that was strange considering I replaced plugs, wires and coil pack a year earlier.

As the days have gone on (about a week) the problem with sputtering and no acceleration have gotten terrible. Also when trying to start the truck cold it can take up to 10 minutes of turning the key. You hear the truck trying to start, and it'll begin to fire then fizzle out and start over.

This is what is leading me to the believe it's the fuel pump. Any input would be helpful.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the fuel pump. When you turn the key do you hear it engage. I would try to take the cp off of another cylinder and switch it with the one that's throwing the code.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Check the fuel pump control module, under the spare tire on the cross rail, for damage. With a moulded housing on the unit, the cold weather can cause issues with the fuel pump operation.

Quick Reply: 1997 F150 Fuel Pump? I think...