Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1991 F150 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 F150 Problem

Hello
I have a 1991 FORD F150 that im having some problems with that started out

of the blue. I can start the truck up fine when its cold but if i turn it

off after it has been running it will not stay on. I have to Put my foot to

the floor on the gas and turn the key once started it just dies then i can

smell gas. If i let it sit for hours i can start it again but does the same

thing after. If i drive it i can go a few feet and thats it just will die on me. I put a new Fuel filter in, Plugs, Dis cap and cables nothing

has helped even tryed both tanks. Put it into Rev or Drive also just dies

right away. Can anyone help me with this matter??
Also noted when this happened i added Injector cleaner to see if it helped and it didn't
Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Have you checked your fuel pressure both static and while the engine is running?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 PM

My buddy said he did and it was ok. Does anyone have any idea?? I need to fix it soon i have to go back and deal with my fathers estate please help.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Anyone?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 PM

bump still need help or ideas on what to try please.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM

1991, must be a 302 or 351 with multi port fuel injection and 1st generation OBD? Check engine light on? I believe later ones with 4.6 have a gizmo that controls "duty cycle" of fuel pump. Not yours, I don't think. Maybe issue with fuel pressure regulator or vacuum line going to it.
Failure of either would cause rich condition, but don't know about flooding.
If it wasn't for gasoline smell, might suspect EGR, but they'll usually run
once you're above idle & die when you take foot off of accelerator.
Tempo's & Taurus'es had issues like this in real cold weather. Think it was PFE sensor which is related to EGR. They definitely would flood. Had to bring them inside, get them warm, replace plugs & PFE sensor. Dont know if that type of system applies in your case.
azilla;407737]Hello
I have a 1991 FORD F150 that im having some problems with that started out

of the blue. I can start the truck up fine when its cold but if i turn it

off after it has been running it will not stay on. I have to Put my foot to

the floor on the gas and turn the key once started it just dies then i can

smell gas. If i let it sit for hours i can start it again but does the same

thing after. If i drive it i can go a few feet and thats it just will die on me. I put a new Fuel filter in, Plugs, Dis cap and cables nothing

has helped even tryed both tanks. Put it into Rev or Drive also just dies

right away. Can anyone help me with this matter??
Also noted when this happened i added Injector cleaner to see if it helped and it didn't[/quote]
Old 03-06-2010, 05:50 PM

Ya just looked Engine light confirmed it is on. i will check the fuel pressure again to see if somthing changed will post more once i look over these things thanks for the reply and giving me somewhere to start.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 AM

Ok so i did some digging into my truck i keep seeing small puffs of smoke coming from against the firewall in the back of then engine. I put my hand in the back and felt around feels like all my vaccuum lines where all burnt.. One was right off and more looked like there melted shut. I did a quick patch job with some Aquarium tube and started the truck.
It would Rez up high RPM and drop to low RPM over and over then it calmed down.
On a restart of the truck it would do the same but i could restart it. So looks like i should replace all the vaccuum lines but my question is now what could of melted them? I dont want to replace them all and have them burn up. Here is some Photo's i took i will get the camera in there better tomorrow.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48470641@N03/
Old 03-18-2010, 07:56 AM

Things that come to mind would be direct contact with exhaust manifolds / pipes or possibly the exhaust tube that runs from the exhaust system to the EGR valve (if your truck has that). Maybe you've got a clip or cable tie that's broken or come loose, allowing this to happen. Damaged vacuum lines will definitely give you all kinds of grief. Also, good idea to check them for proper routing (with vacuum diagram in engine compt.) when you do the full repair. Sounds like you're on the right track. Other thing that comes to mind as a possible cause for fluctuating idle is the idle air control valve. Relatively common problem on Fords. Example - at stoplight, idle will fluctuate widely up & down 3 or 4 times and then engine stalls. But, with compromised vacuum lines, hopefully your problem's right there.
Best of luck with it.

Originally Posted by azilla
Ok so i did some digging into my truck i keep seeing small puffs of smoke coming from against the firewall in the back of then engine. I put my hand in the back and felt around feels like all my vaccuum lines where all burnt.. One was right off and more looked like there melted shut. I did a quick patch job with some Aquarium tube and started the truck.
It would Rez up high RPM and drop to low RPM over and over then it calmed down.
On a restart of the truck it would do the same but i could restart it. So looks like i should replace all the vaccuum lines but my question is now what could of melted them? I dont want to replace them all and have them burn up. Here is some Photo's i took i will get the camera in there better tomorrow.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48470641@N03/
Old 03-19-2010, 03:45 AM

further to yesterday - puffs of smoke? a)Any chance you've got an exhaust leak back there? Don't know the trucks that well. Can't place engine from pictures. Is it a V6? b) EGR tube could be rusted or broken, particularly near fittings. c) Had a 77 Buick many years ago. In process of replacing intake gaskets, rubber end seal at back of manifold got pinched. In your case it might just be hardened & partially dislodged. As a result, got alot of oil fumes escaping between block & manifold, from lifter gallery. You'd see oil leakage down back of engine as part of that problem.

Originally Posted by grn65gal
Things that come to mind would be direct contact with exhaust manifolds / pipes or possibly the exhaust tube that runs from the exhaust system to the EGR valve (if your truck has that). Maybe you've got a clip or cable tie that's broken or come loose, allowing this to happen. Damaged vacuum lines will definitely give you all kinds of grief. Also, good idea to check them for proper routing (with vacuum diagram in engine compt.) when you do the full repair. Sounds like you're on the right track. Other thing that comes to mind as a possible cause for fluctuating idle is the idle air control valve. Relatively common problem on Fords. Example - at stoplight, idle will fluctuate widely up & down 3 or 4 times and then engine stalls. But, with compromised vacuum lines, hopefully your problem's right there.
Best of luck with it.

Quick Reply: 1991 F150 Problem