Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1986 ford f-150 fuel pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1986 ford f-150 fuel pump problems

Hi evreyone my name is matt and im new to the site. I know alot of you ford guys have probably experienced issues like this one so im going to ask for your advice. I have a 86 f-150 with a 302 motor that is fuel injected. I am helping my new driver son get this beast going so that he wont buy a rice burner..lol..antway the truck has sat for several years and we got it turning over today but there is no power reacing the fuel pumps. There is power to the relay on the fender and the inretenia switch has power to the hot wire. Im kind of lost where to go from here. I was told that if the selector switch goes out then the fuel pumps wont work..is this true? Where should i start in trying to chase the issues down? I really do appreciete any help or suggestions you guys have and will check out all suggestions..thanks alot guys this truck has been in the family for awhile and it has sentimental value that far exceeds the value of the truck..it will mean alot to my son to get this truck going. GOD Bless
Old 12-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

check out www.justanswer.com/ford/10ul9-tim-i-86-f150-fi-302-dual-tanks-iam-not-getting.html Think their are 3 pumps and wiring issues to them from the switch probably.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 PM

thanks im going to look this pover and see if i can figure it all out
Old 12-28-2011, 10:13 PM

so is there a way i can by pass the switch and see if it is going to work? just plan on using the front tank for now
Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yerg
so is there a way i can by pass the switch and see if it is going to work? just plan on using the front tank for now

I would remove the tanks and clean them out, test the electrical connections and the pumps. Drain the fuel out outside so as to keep fire hazzard down. Little worries about fuel leaks, bad fuel etc, causing a fire. With everything clean and good fuel in the tanks you know where to start. Pumps may be a mess and new needed. By pass the switch would be 1 way. Believe the red and white wire is hot wire. Jumping to the red wire should activate the front pump. _If you pull the left head lamp_, ground is with that group on inner fender and a lot of the time it is rusted away. Are the lights working ok = brights/ dims, turn signals and brake lights, some times they come and go. Filter, pumps inside of tanks may be nasty if fuel hasn't been changed out in a year or two. Sometimes it looks like there are different kinds of fluid in there. Everything is very explosive with this mess. A VOM from Lowes or Home Depot is a necesity right now. Did you try a squirt of gas in the intake to see if the motor fires. It would help to know the running end is ok. check out www.ehow.com/how_6210700_fix-pump-ford-f150.html other leads exist for you there also. Red wire to front/tank pump from selector needs to be hot/ other wire at pump to ground. A vom or circuit tester can test for continuity. rust/corrosion/mouse probably got it.

Last edited by papa tiger; 12-29-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 PM

did you check the fues to the pump,s

Last edited by big contry; 12-28-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 AM

Default 86 fuel pump issues

did check the fuses first..dad taught me at an early age to start with the easiest things first. however the rear lights are not in it the truck so if thats a ground to the fuel pump i may have an issue there..guess i better start with fixing them first thing in the morning and go from there..i will keep you guys posted in the results..just wanted to say thanks for all the help..this site is tiits and you guys are the best.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 AM

UGGGGGGGGGG does ANYONE know where all of the grounds are on this 86 truck? i have no ground on the tail lights so i would assume that the fuel pumps are not getting a ground either..dang it..its 1 30 am and colder that a snowmans ********* outside..
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 AM

Old 12-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by yerg
UGGGGGGGGGG does ANYONE know where all of the grounds are on this 86 truck? i have no ground on the tail lights so i would assume that the fuel pumps are not getting a ground either..dang it..its 1 30 am and colder that a snowmans ********* outside..
I am not sure your assumption is correct. Anyway, you can run your own ground wire. I would think that this would be easier and faster.

Quick Reply: 1986 ford f-150 fuel pump problems