Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1984 4-speed transmission clutch repair??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 4-speed transmission clutch repair??

The manual I have for the 1984 F-150 is not very helpful. I just had my truck towed back home, clutch has been wearing out for a while. No clutch engagement or very light for all forward gears. When I bought the old truck two years ago, they said they had just replaced the clutch and that it was easy, could do without taking down tranny, through bell housing? Now, never repaired a tranny before, but manuals are suppose to be easier. I can see the clutch lever enter the side of the bell housing with a rubber cover. Can start the truck with it in gear, so no clutch seems like. What are the steps to repair? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by gaseagull3
The manual I have for the 1984 F-150 is not very helpful. I just had my truck towed back home, clutch has been wearing out for a while. No clutch engagement or very light for all forward gears. When I bought the old truck two years ago, they said they had just replaced the clutch and that it was easy, could do without taking down tranny, through bell housing? Now, never repaired a tranny before, but manuals are suppose to be easier. I can see the clutch lever enter the side of the bell housing with a rubber cover. Can start the truck with it in gear, so no clutch seems like. What are the steps to repair? Thanks in advance.
They lied to you, you have to separate the transmission from the engine to change the clutch.

Quick Reply: 1984 4-speed transmission clutch repair??