Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1978 F150 speedo/odo/reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 11:52 PM
kew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1978 F150 speedo/odo/reverse lights

Ok, so I'm having issues with the speedometer, odometer, temp gauge, & reverse lights not working, the gas gauge works fine. Whats the deal? This truck can't possible have gear issues bc it has worked all completely before, weird they all stop simultaneously. I can't believe it just stopped bc of gears when the reverse lights & radio stopped at the same time too. Is it a disconnect/fuse/cable issue? Grounding? Please advise. Feeling its some sort of cable issue not gears. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going through my memory banks on the old 77 F150 I used to have. I believe those units have a constant voltage regulator or what some might call an instrument cluster regulator. Also known as a CVR. Might be worth a look see. If I remember correctly, the one I had actually mounted to the back of instrument cluster. Possibly connected directly to the printed circuit. Like a 9 volt battery.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2016, 10:51 AM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

reverse lights are totally separate on this, if not fuse probably nuetral switch
assuming it is auto. if manual reverse switch screws into trans. did you ck. the bulbs?

Quick Reply: 1978 F150 speedo/odo/reverse lights