Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

13 F150 Eco slow MPG loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 13 F150 Eco slow MPG loss

I've recently noticed a drop in my mileage. Nothing significant (that I've noticed anyway) has happened.

2013 F150 KR 4x4 w/ 3.55 48k miles. Truck is stock + 1.5" level in the front + 275x65R20. I expected a slight decrease in logged mileage b/c of the extra size/weight of the tire. Plugs recently replaced. Power still seems good - it just seems anytime there is any load, the mpg drops significantly. No shudder on accel, no codes.

Previously with the new tires (been running those for a few months now), I could get ~13 (I know, what a joke) babying around town. Now, I'm having a hard time maintaining 12.

When travelling straight/flat roads. the instant MPG max's out. However, when I give it the slightest amount of gas, the instant MPG drops to near 0.

On my last highway run, I averaged about 14 (75mph) which sadly is about average.

Lifetime average of the truck is 14.5 (that's a joke - even on the original tires, I had to work to get 13.5).

I have torque installed on my phone, and can monitor at least the HS can buses. Any thing I can/should look for? I generally run 87 w/ 10% ethanol. Maybe the summer blend is starting to take effect - hard to say.

The one interesting thing in torque is that it thinks barometric pressure should be a valid PID, but it reads 0. I've tried to look for info on the valid ranges of MAP readings, but couldn't find anything.

I've considered a tuner to try an squeeze a few more MPG out of the truck, but $600 is a long way to go to get a few MPG.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Talley
I've recently noticed a drop in my mileage.

48k miles.
Pretty close to average as to when carbon buildup on top of the valves becomes noticeable with the 3.5. Loss of fuel mileage is the main complaint.

Quick Reply: 13 F150 Eco slow MPG loss