Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

06 F150 5.4 4x4 Inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 F150 5.4 4x4 Inoperable

Ok, so first off I know this is my first post but Ive been lurking around here for years... I did search and found a ton of good info but I'm at an impasse because this issue seems electrical. Electrical is not my bag, baby...

So I bought this truck recently, needed tranny rebuild and guy was upfront told me truck had gotten stuck in 4hi. He took it to local shop, they pulled the fuses for 4x4 pulled the tc shift motor shifted case out of 4. I figure no big deal, prob needs new $120 motor its a bunt...

So I've rebuilt trans and did COP job to correct a miss. Moved on to 4x4, been through pretty much everything and I think the PCM is shot... I'm getting no current to the shift relays when MSS is turned. If I supply current directly to tc motor it shifts tc into 4wd no issue.

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something here? To be on safe side I replaced fuses 11,29,30 (fuse 111 was missing I replaced) plus I replaced both 4x4 relays under hood. It seems that I'm not getting power from pcm to relays, no 4x4 lights on dash etc... Throwing no codes either.

I've been told the ABS is involved in 4x4 operation....I'm just lost

Any help is appreciated

Last edited by BXtruckie; 02-20-2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-21-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

There is a small computer involved in the operation of the electronic 4x4 systems on Ford trucks. On my 1992 Explorer it is located in the rear of the vehicle in the cabin. I was told if the system goes into default because the motor on the diff is locked up, it required having the system reflashed. I don't know if you're is the same but here's a link that might get you closer to a solution. Good luck http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=202166

Quick Reply: 06 F150 5.4 4x4 Inoperable