Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

'05 F150 FX4 brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 F150 FX4 brake issue

I am having an issue with my brakes currently, and I believe it's either the front driver side or rear drivers side brake assembly as that is where I hear the noise from.

The truck runs fine and it brakes fine, but only after I have driven it a couple of miles. When I get in and start it up, I let the engine warm up until the RPMs die down, then I begin driving like normal. However, when I need to stop, my brake pedal shudders, and I can hear a noise that has a rythm to match the brake pedal shuddering. The truck, due to this, has minor issues slowing down. After I drive it for 2 or 3 miles, however, the problem ceases to exist completely and the ABS light comes on. Once the ABS light comes on the truck brakes like it should.

Any idea if I am looking at a caliper issue or master cylinder?

I've messed around with the brakes before and have the know how to change them out properly, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Have someone scan your ABS codes. Autozone might be able to pick up the code.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 PM

Ok, I had the truck checked out and here are the errors that came up, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails '05 F150 FX4 brake issue-image-3400707450.jpg   '05 F150 FX4 brake issue-image-1192487143.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Oh wow. Dude. That might be your abs control module. Look under the hood on the drivers side closest to the radiator. You will see a box with 6 or seven brake lines run to it. You will see a connector plugged into it. That is your abs module. Unplug it, check for corrosion. Clean it up real good, plug it in, do the battery disconnect thing, hook it back up and start your truck. See if that clears it up. If not, its time for the dealership. Those modules are expensive and have to be programmed by the dealer. I had to get mine replaced.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM

That is heartbreaking... Alrighty though, I'll give her a good lookover, though I fear the worst
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Ok, its been a while since I posted in here as I had some surgeries and such, but an update at last!

I took mu truck to ford to have them diagnose the ABS issue and what the said was it was a bearing issue on the axle/wheel assembly(I may be wrong, its hard to remember). If this is causing my brakes to pulsate when I depress them at any speed, then they work fine once the ABS light comes on after a while, what does this mean I need to replace?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

ABS systems are designed to PULSE the brakes in a "Slam them on" brake stop, preventing skids.There are only 3 components to the ABS system. The control module, the wheel sensor and the pickup ring on the back of the brake rotor. When the ABS light comes on the computer is disabling the ABS system. It's possible you either have a bad wheel sensor or a bad rotor/pickup ring on the front right wheel. I'd start there. Good luck
Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Check the rings for the abs on all 4 wheels. Look for cracks or any signs of damage. Also look at the wss itself and make sure no visual damage. Check for metal shavings on the wss sensor aswell as most of them are magnetic. Make sure all clean and all in one piece

Quick Reply: '05 F150 FX4 brake issue