Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

05 5.4 missfire on all passengerside cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 05 5.4 missfire on all passengerside cylinders

Hello, This is my first post on here, long time viewer. I have a 2005 f-1505.4 3v with about 150,000 on it that starting missing terribly at idle oneafternoon. The missing is throughout the whole rpm range no matter what I havetried(on road and parked). pulling the coil power wires I have noticed verylittle rpm drop in all cylinders on the passenger side while the driver’s sideshow significant rpm drop. There is no rattling or dieseling heard from thisengine. I have replaced all coils, plugs and injectors. I also pulled the vctand visually inspected all screens were intact. I was starting to think headgasket but I have no smoke and no fluid loss, also find it hard to believe thatthe head gasket let go in at least two places. I hooked up a scan tool and readthe live data and one variable timing circuit shows timing changes and theother stays at zero. I am unsure if these readings are per head or what. I amnot at a complete loss. I have not done a compression check yet but I washoping someone else had any experience with the issue. I am thinking eitherbroken timing chain guide, vct, or possible the phaser but I am hoping for somesuggestions before I dump more money into this truck, or if I just cut my losesand sell it as is. Thank you in advance!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:34 AM

I did a 2004 that had a similar problem the timing guides broke and caused it to jump a tooth one way to see if it's the same as mine try unplugging one of the cam sensors and if it idles fine but feels sluggish at higher rpms I bet that's what it's gonna be your gonna have to do a timing kit on it ( chains,crankshaft sprocket,tensioners)
Old 12-21-2013, 01:39 AM

And if the whole passenger side is misfiring then your timing probably is off
Old 12-21-2013, 07:19 AM

Tried the cam sensor. No change. Do you know if he reading on the cam advancement should read the same on the scan tool or if they are supposed to be so different?
Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 AM

Are you getting codes if so what are they?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 AM

The only codes I am getting are
random misfire detected
Cyl #1 Misfire
Cyl #2 Misfire
Cyl #3 Misfire
Cyl #4 Misfire

Scan tool showed oil pressure was good and I have tried cleaning the MAS as well.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had the same problem on my 06' with 90k miles. Mine was misfiring on the drivers side bank but only at the top of the gears in 1-2 then constantly when I got above 45mph. Replaced plugs, coil packs, injectors, cam sensors, timing solenoids, FPDM, fuel pressure sensor, MAF, and a few other random parts and sensors with no success. Long story short it ended up being a bad timing tensioner and seal. Ended up costing $2,400 for all the timing components with phaser lockouts and both catalytic converters. (I drove the truck for 3 weeks straight trying to get a CEL to show up and by doing so it clogged up both cats and the drivers side was so clogged it was pushing exhaust back into the motor)
Old 12-26-2013, 07:15 AM

I am hoping its only the timing componets. I am going to tear into it soon and find out.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:43 PM

Yes the cam advance/ retard should read the same
Old 12-26-2013, 09:51 PM

Ok sorry for the late response when your reading your cam advance retard the should read pretty much the same I would say your guides broke and probably one of your vct solenoids is not working correctly if you do tear down the truck which I recommend over selling it is to don't forget the oil pan bolts that hold the timing cover

Quick Reply: 05 5.4 missfire on all passengerside cylinders