Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

04 Trans issue. No forward. HELP!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Trans issue. No forward. HELP!

2004 Ford F150 5.4. Last fall, shortly after buying the truck,the OD snap ring broke, and the broken pieces got lodged in the valve body, preventing the truck from shifting into OD. I only drove it a few miles to work, so I just turned off OD and it was fine. Then I got called out for hurricane Sandy, and by the time I got back, it had gotten cold outside. A few weeks later, I broke my finger and severed the tendon, so my hand was out of service for a while.

Over the winter, I would sometimes get a trans fault message. Mostly if I tried to reverse out of driveway when it wasnt warmed up fully. If I shut off truck and back on, everything was OK.

So, I finally took the pan and the valve body off the truck, and found the broken snap ring pieces in the valve body. I replaced the snap ring (used a jack to hold the OD servo up while I took out the old and put in the new), changed filters, and put it all back together with new fluid. Let it warm up, let it sit in R and D for a few minutes just idling. Topped off fluid. Drove it around the block, and everything seemed OK. I hadn't gotten up to enough speed to see if OD was back, when the truck stopped going forward. It just would not go in D, 2, or 1 from the stop sign. I found that R worked fine, so I limped it home and got it back in the garage. I took apart the valve body again. top and bottom. I made sure the check ***** went back where they were supposed to. Put it all back together and same thing. The truck will not go in forward gear. The gear selector will select the gears, but the truck wont move. If I rev it up, I get a trans fault, and then a shudder. The O/D light on the dash blinks along with the trans fault message.

From some research online, it sounds like it could be a Forward drum issue? I am capable of taking the trans out and possibly doing a rebuild on it, but I don't know what I need, or how to figure out what I need when I've got it all apart. I'd rather not drop the trans, but it seems like it wont be just a quick fix.

I did notice two very small nicks in the valve body gasket on either side, but I don't see how it could cause a complete failure like this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 Trans issue. No forward. HELP!