Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

04 f150 shifter not engaging gears please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 f150 shifter not engaging gears please help

I have a 2004 f150 lariat 4x4. The shifter will not "click" on the button and engage the gears correctly. If I go down the tree from park to reverse to drive they will engage most of the time. If I go up the tree from drive to reverse it will not click and engage the gear. The linkage on the transmission is fine and connected tightly. I have looked at the components over and over and can't figure out anything. All I can find info on is if it's stuck in pro and how to engage the shifter via the white safety switch. Can someone please help me I don't have the money to take this into ford!
Old 09-28-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The shifter cable has to be lose somewhere. Have a friend shift it while you whatch the linkage at the trans. Needless to say, with the engine off and parking brake set, and block the wheels if you are on any kind of incline.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALTAJAVA
The shifter cable has to be lose somewhere. Have a friend shift it while you whatch the linkage at the trans. Needless to say, with the engine off and parking brake set, and block the wheels if you are on any kind of incline.
I have already done this and I can't see any flaw in the motion of the linkage at the tranny! I assumed since that was the case it was something in the shifter assembly. I've been told it could be the detents and that they need to be tightened but I have no idea where these are or how to tighten them

Quick Reply: 04 f150 shifter not engaging gears please help