Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

04, 8.8 rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04, 8.8 rear axle

My Rear axle needs rebuilt but the lock bolt for the pin in the center of the carrier is broken off and I cant fit a drill in there to try to extract it nor can I down my truck for more than a day for the repair since its a daily driver. At this point I'm thinking its quicker and cheaper to possibly find a used rear axle so I am wondering which years of trucks I may be able to snag one from if I go to a junk yard, and also is there any added hassle if I found one with a different gearing, such as with bolting up, other than changing ecm perameters?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

You can use 98 to 04 for a direct swap. Remember if you R&R the whole rear end verify the brakes are good and change the fluids. There is a tag on the diff. with the gear ratio so you can match your old ones. If you change gearing, so will your gas mileage.
The following users liked this post:
Drakhonas (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc D
You can use 98 to 04 for a direct swap. Remember if you R&R the whole rear end verify the brakes are good and change the fluids. There is a tag on the diff. with the gear ratio so you can match your old ones. If you change gearing, so will your gas mileage.
Ok, thanks for the info. Is 8.8 the best as far as fuel economy? I drive quite a bit and if a different ratio would improve it I may go that route.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

The size of the rear end isn't relevant. It's the gear ratio inside. 355's are the most common. Again the tag on the pumpkin will give you the information on what you have or the Vin# will. The higher the ratio the less gas mileage you will get exp: 411's would be less than 355's but have more low end torque/pulling power. Good luck

Quick Reply: 04, 8.8 rear axle