Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

04-08 4.2L Harmonic Balancer Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:50 AM
Geek Engineer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 04-08 4.2L Harmonic Balancer Install

I am replacing the engine in my 2006, and thought I would share my harmonic balancer install tips since there is not much on it that I can find. I knew with the deep pulley I was going to have problems, so after I went to AutoZone to rent their installer I went by the local hardware store and purchased two 1" nuts. I used the nuts as spacers between the pressure bearing and jack screw. This allowed me to use a 32mm axle nut deep socket on the jack screw to just easily turn the balancer into place. I did not have to hold the crank from turning until I torqued the bolt at the end. I lubed the inside and outside of the balancer with grease, for ease of installation and also to protect the seal in the block. I had previously installed a sleeve on the balancer since my old balancer had a pronounced groove where the seal rode on it for the last 200K+ miles. Hopefully I can upload pics which should make it all clear.
Attached Thumbnails 04-08 4.2L Harmonic Balancer Install-hb1.jpg   04-08 4.2L Harmonic Balancer Install-hb2.jpg   04-08 4.2L Harmonic Balancer Install-hb3.jpg   04-08 4.2L Harmonic Balancer Install-hb4.jpg  

Last edited by nwf_snake; 08-18-2015 at 06:51 AM. Reason: misspelled words

Quick Reply: 04-08 4.2L Harmonic Balancer Install