Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

03 Brakes, pedal starts firm then drops

Old 08-23-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Brakes, pedal starts firm then drops

When I am coming to a stop, the brake pedal starts out firm and normal, then when the truck is almost stopped, the pedal shudders and sinks toward the floor. When it does this the brakes release and additional pressure is needed to complete the stop. Could this be an issue with the ABS? or does it sound like the master cylinder?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM
I live 4 Him He died 4 Me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with a ranger i use to have.. i cleaned the speed sensors and it never did it again afterwards.. does the abs light come on? mine did
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

You got a leak buddy...caliper
Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
You got a leak buddy...caliper
It does seem like the left front is the one releasing. I will check for a leak. Thanks much.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 AM
I live 4 Him He died 4 Me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fluid reservoir if its not full than yea u have a leak somewhere
Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM

Update: I checked all 4 calipers and did not find any leaks. The reservoir is full. I pulled the fuse for the ABS and the problem has stopped, however now the ABS light is on. Hmmmmmmm. Any ideas?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by gil57usa
Update: I checked all 4 calipers and did not find any leaks. The reservoir is full. I pulled the fuse for the ABS and the problem has stopped, however now the ABS light is on. Hmmmmmmm. Any ideas?
gil57,
That is a good find. Sure isolates your problem. When an ABS problem crops up, the Bosch ABS is supposed to go into bypass mode. Obviously that did not happen. How dirty looking is your fluid? The brake fluid is supposed to absorb any water in the system. As the water content rises it will wreak havoc in your brake system. Even stainless steel can corrode.

What I have been doing since my first vehicle with ABS, is to flush out the brake system every 3 to 4 yrs. As a result, I have had to repair/replace fewer leaking brake components than before. And best of all, no issues with the ABS control modules.

So, back to your issue. I would flush out the system untill clean fluid comes out every every bleeder on the vehicle and then try to get the ABS to cycle. Maybe you will get lucky and the ABS will function. No gurantees. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck with this issue.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Flushing the brake system is required maint. in my owners manual. Check your ABS sensors...1 on each hub...make sure they are plugged in, could of had a rock hit or something like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 Brakes, pedal starts firm then drops