Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

03 5.4 F 150 coolant troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 5.4 F 150 coolant troubles

Hello everyone,

I am a new member here and the problem is my 2003 F 150 with the 5.4L keeps blowing antifreeze out of the cap on the reservoir. The motor was running hot then would settle down into normal temperature range, the other day it stayed maxxed out on temperature and the warning lights all came on so I shut it down and parked it. Next morning my brother and I checked it out and there was almost no coolant in the reservoir, we filled it and drove it home about 15 miles. When I pulled in the driveway and parked it antifreeze blew out of the cap all over the place. We bought a water pump and thermostat changed them and it went good for three days, I got home from work last night, and it started blowing cold air from the heater, this morning there was antifreeze all over the driveway again. Any ideas what the problem could be????? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,

oilcan72
Old 01-18-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could it be a blown head gasket? Are there any other symptoms? I know the warning lights should work, but it sounds like you have a more serious problem. Are you blowing white smoke? Water drops on the dipstick? I would check those things, and look for more water than normal (there is always a tiny amount) coming out of the exhaust pipe.
This is all speculation by me, remember. I am no mechanic, I've just had problems of this nature myself, and it turned out to be a blown head gasket.
The following users liked this post:
oilcan72 (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,

Kind of looking like a blown head gasket, from everyone I've talked to that seems to be the culprit. Looks like I'll have some work coming up soon.

Thanks,

oilcan72
Old 01-21-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough break!
Old 01-25-2016, 10:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would test for combustion gases in the coolant.

Quick Reply: 03 5.4 F 150 coolant troubles