Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

02 f150 manual transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 f150 manual transmission fluid change

Alright, so its time I change out my fluid. From what I've read there's alot of talk about draining torque converters/changing filters/cleaning pan magnets.

I know I don't have a torque converter/pan/or trans filter. Should make this pretty darn easy then.

But I asked for Mercon atf at my dealer, they don't stock it anymore and he could only give me Mercon V. I stated that the owners manual claims that mixing mercon and mercon V can be detrimental. He then told me that if I'm draining the transmission then it should be no problem.

Just wondering what you guys think. Should I look into trying to completely flush the trans. or if its warmed up will basically all of the old fluid be gone?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you would be alright with mercron v as all the trans oil does in a standard is lube bearings and gears not clutch packs like in an automatic. I would feel comfortable using it in my 03 standard no problems.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tan_1
I think you would be alright with mercron v as all the trans oil does in a standard is lube bearings and gears not clutch packs like in an automatic. I would feel comfortable using it in my 03 standard no problems.
I see, part of my concern was the clutch plates retaining the old fluid. But as you say that's no issue.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 02 f150 manual transmission fluid change