Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

'02 4.6L cold-weather PCV valve removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '02 4.6L cold-weather PCV valve removal

Greetings all,

My apologies if I'm doing this wrong, still getting a feel for this place.

I've got a 2002 F-150, 4.6, that was originally sold in Nashville then shipped to Southern California. After a bunch of mucking about looking for the source of P0171 and P0174 I finally found a thread here showing me that the PCV valve is in a different place than every other flippin car in SoCal. Turns out the rubber elbow behind the throttle body is dead. (finally, an easy fix. or so I thought) Except I can't get my hands in there, and I can't get the rubber boot to let go of whatever it is that it's attached to.

So I'm hoping someone has a great suggestion on how to get that stupid boot off, and what I'll find beneath it. Any ideas?

I don't really want to cut it because I haven't been able to locate this "special" part here (probably dealer, eh?) and I'd like to have a fairly intact piece to walk into the part store with to match up. Also I'm trying to get this done in my apartment complex's parking lot, where we're not allowed to be working on our cars, so I'd like to avoid removing the whole throttle body to get to it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rudolph; 05-05-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: '02 4.6L cold-weather PCV valve removal