Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

01 F150 5.4L engine issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 F150 5.4L engine issue.

Not sure where to start, I've tried researching for other posts with my problems. My SES light has been on for awhile, but the truck still drove fine, until today. Coming back from the store, it suddenly did not want to shift, then it started accelerating very slowly and would finally shift around 2500 RPM and wouldn't again after that. I've recently had the plugs and COP's replaced and I'm hoping I can limp it to town in the morning to get the code pulled. Any idea of what I could be looking at? It's just bogging down every time I hit the gas (no matter how hard I hit it) and just accelerates very slowly. Thank you for any ideas and help!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

It's possible the problem is in the transmission not the motor. You should have it scanned for codes to get you in the ballpark of the issue. There is a "limp" mode on the truck that allowed you to move it slowly.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up doing a run around with the local parts store, replaced the O2 sensors, with no change, mechanic nearby told me to replace the fuel filter and it ran perfect after that, for a day, well, half a day. The next day, 25 deg, started idling up and down, when I gave it gas it didn't want to go, it would go real slow until around 2000 RPM and then pick up finally, ran a bit better once the engine was warm, but still horrible idle at stop and no power when I first hit the gas. Took it to get the codes pulled again (They finally showed up the next day after the fuel filter). I forget how many codes the woman wrote down (I have them all though), she said it felt like a vacuum leak, and even each code she pulled up in the computer all had vacuum leak in common. I have some nasty looking hoses that I'm going to replace, but otherwise not real sure how to check for vacuum leaks, I was told to use carb cleaner while the engine was running but not real sure there? Thank you again.

Quick Reply: 01 F150 5.4L engine issue.