Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welder Identification Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welder Identification Help

Thought this might be a good section to ask for some help on identifying a couple welders. My grandpa recently passed away and left two welders in his garage. My grandma had asked me if they are worth anything and I have no idea.

Here are a couple pictures. If you have any suggestions on the type and value of these two welders, I am all ears. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Welder Identification Help-img_0840.jpg   Welder Identification Help-img_0841.jpg  
Old 10-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

My 90+ father in-law, still kicking, had tons of crap. The first place you go is Google. These are relatively new and you'll find results.

Your MAC welder is a Hobart, see here: http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...hp/t-6021.html

Your Snap-on appears to be made by Systematics: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=32722

Then, go to Ebay and search, you want to look at SOLD (if you have a REFINE box), click on it then Sold on the left.

I've been selling his stuff for over 2 years, nearly all on Craigslist. So far I've sold over $10,000 worth on CL in hundreds of listings. It takes a lot of time to research everything, REMOVE identifying info (my father in-law engraved his SSN or Driver's License Number on everything) and find a buyer. Some old tools are very high quality, but some you find are simply rebadged (yours) and often imports that fetch less. Mine were older, some power tools and such from the 50s and 60s. Some, like the welders, it was difficult to figure out if they worked since I didn't use them.

Be prepared to spend a LOT of time on this if you want top dollar.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thanks so much Ricktwuhk! This is very helpful! Would you recommend either one to a newbie welder looking for something to have around incase I need to use one? I do have 220v in my garage, but the only welding I've done is with a harbor freight 110v MIG welder.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

My father in-law collected everything, i.e. he is a hoarder. I had to dispose of it all, including over 8 tons taken to the scrapyard. It has not been a fun task.

That said, I have no idea. I don't weld, so I sold his welder, his torches, etc. In fact, most of his tools are things that I have no use for, and some are things that no one has a use for (giant chain pipe wrenches that no one uses for example). I've sold / am selling things people value, recently donated a bunch, and scrap the crap.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Yes, keep both the Hobart and the Snap-On. They are excellent welder brands and if you're looking to start out as a rookie, that's a great way to do it. Those brands are definitely the higher-end of the bunch, right up there with Lincoln.

Quick Reply: Welder Identification Help