Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting a longer truck bed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting a longer truck bed!

I've had this idea in the back of my head for a while now. I have 2010 XLT 4x4 super crew cab with the short 5'5 bed on there. The idea was to replace the short 5'5 bed with the 6'5. The problem that I notice is that the longer bed length is add through the front half of the bed nearest the cab.

In short, this meaning I would have to either stretch my frame or buy a frame already stretched(either aftermarket or manufacture) and just switch everything over. My question is has anyone ran across any article of people doing this or a site where I could get a frame to do this?

I know Stacey David on Gearz did a project similar to this on a '72 where he went from the long bed to the short bed and cut a foot out of the frame and then connected it back together.

Like I stated earlier I haven't done to much looking into this I haven't looked into what frame lengths the actually come on the different body styles of trucks and if I could just buy one from the dealer or aftermarket. If anyone has some information off the top of their head on this that would be a good to start with.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

You have two totally different wheel bases. The 6.5 is a 157" wheel base. It is nothing like taking a long box and shortening it. Even if you have a donor frame and box you would then need a 2 pc driveshaft to install. All of your brake lines and ebrake lines then have to be extended.

My thoughts are trade the truck in on a real man's 6.5' bed truck.
The following users liked this post:
Toshbar (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 01:01 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

If you're serious about needing another foot of bed, sell and buy the longer one. You'll spend $6k+ in labor alone stretching your current truck.

Bed....have you even priced one?
Frame
Driveshaft
Brake lines
fuel lines
Wiring - lights/fuel pump

and labor $$$$$$$$$$$
Old 05-22-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not a good idea . Plus a real bed is 8 foot not 6.5

Quick Reply: Wanting a longer truck bed!