Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offroad lights wired to high beams

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Offroad lights wired to high beams

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to wire off-road lights like a light bar for instance to your high beams so it will come one when the high beams are on and shut off when I shut the high beams off. Thanks
Old 11-21-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 05extlongbed
I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to wire off-road lights like a light bar for instance to your high beams so it will come one when the high beams are on and shut off when I shut the high beams off. Thanks
Sure is, I have a set of lights wired in exactly as you described. Pull your headlight, determine which wire is the 'hot' wire when the high beams are on and splice it. I ran the spliced wire into the cab, to a switch, then from the switch to a relay. The relay will have a wire pull directly from the battery to power your lights but the high beams will be the 'trigger'. That way, the high beams have to be on and the switch has to be on in order for the aftermarket lights to turn on. That allows me to pass inspection without any issues. If you need a wiring diagram, let me know, but you'll need a test light and, from there, it's no different from wiring any other aftermarket light.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Anything is possible with enough relays!!

Like Pugga said, it'd be best to run a switch as well.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

I recommend using a switch & relay as well, I like having the switch as there are times that I can run my stock headlights but can't run my lightbar (for instance a light/medium snow will reflect too brightly off the falling snow with the lightbar but fine with high beams).
Old 11-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugga
Sure is, I have a set of lights wired in exactly as you described. Pull your headlight, determine which wire is the 'hot' wire when the high beams are on and splice it. I ran the spliced wire into the cab, to a switch, then from the switch to a relay. The relay will have a wire pull directly from the battery to power your lights but the high beams will be the 'trigger'. That way, the high beams have to be on and the switch has to be on in order for the aftermarket lights to turn on. That allows me to pass inspection without any issues. If you need a wiring diagram, let me know, but you'll need a test light and, from there, it's no different from wiring any other aftermarket light.
I have the exact same thing on my setup. One relay fires the 32" curved lightbar and another relay fires the two flanking 9" lightbars on the smittybilt lightbar mount I have.

Only works when the switch is on AND the high beams are active. On the plus side, with the switch on and fog lights turned on, my low beam LED headlights are fine because of the additional current draw not making the computer think that the high beams should be active. No bambi mod required for my setup to work appropriately.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:09 PM

I would love to have a wiring diagram! This sounds awesome!
Old 11-22-2016, 07:31 AM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Received 407 Likes on 304 Posts

Here's a schematic using a relay.
Your high beam will be basically a "trigger wire" as the relay & the relay contacts will take the main power. The switch will allow you to have it on or off.
ALL my bright LEDs are wired this way and my switches are ALWAYS in the on position.... but my lights will not come on until I hit my high beams.
This is a schematic for OTRATTW/Carling SPST switch that is use in my KustomFX overhead switch panel:

Updated pic to another schematic....
Attached Thumbnails Offroad lights wired to high beams-photo818.jpg   Offroad lights wired to high beams-photo846.jpg  

Last edited by Lethal Weapon; 11-22-2016 at 05:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-22-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Wiring diagram attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wiring.pdf (45.4 KB, 507 views)
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-26-2016, 06:23 PM

Wiring diagram attached.
how can I get your diagram? I can't pull it up
Old 11-26-2016, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lethal Weapon
Here's a schematic using a relay. Your high beam will be basically a "trigger wire" as the relay & the relay contacts will take the main power. The switch will allow you to have it on or off. ALL my bright LEDs are wired this way and my switches are ALWAYS in the on position.... but my lights will not come on until I hit my high beams. This is a schematic for OTRATTW/Carling SPST switch that is use in my KustomFX overhead switch panel: Updated pic to another schematic....
okay. I have no idea what this schematic means. This is going to be hard for me since I don't know anything