Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Ideas on wiring a set of lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:15 AM
Wait, I can change this?

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Need Ideas on wiring a set of lights

So I'm a firefighter and I'm wiring up a set of blue emergency lights into the exterior of my truck. Here's the problem though I don't want to run it through a hard wired system because in the past I've had issues with dust/water getting into the cab depending on where i ran the wires. No matter how careful I was sealing everything back up.

My current thought is using an RF transmitter/receiver pair that i can power inside the cab either through a usb port or a 9v battery and then have the receiver powered under the hood by either a dedicated hot from the battery or splicing into a line that is only hot when the key is on. The only hiccup I'm having with this is I cant find any that are based off a toggle switch, all I'm finding are a push button remote. I'm not well enough versed in electronics to retro fit a toggle onto the circuit bored where the button would be.

Any Ideas or help? truck is a '15 XL 2.7

Last edited by mouthymedic; 02-04-2016 at 01:16 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 02-06-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Easiest way is one you need a relay 2 a good test light helps passenger kick panel is s fuse box big plug up top has a blue/red wire that is constant power 30 Amps then the bottom plug to towards the door not firewall has a thin purple green that is accessory or white orange that is ignition wire the relay to that top pin 12v right pin acc left pin ground bottom pin goes to your lights
The following users liked this post:
snitz (05-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Need Ideas on wiring a set of lights