Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Default A little help?

I need some help fellas. I just had this custom box made up for the back of my truck.
I'm looking for a semi-permanent mounting solution.
What I am looking to do is, in the bed of the truck that is up against the cab, The top part of the bed has a lip that's approximately 3" from top to bottom.
I would like to get a bolt through this lip but I need it to come from the side of the cab, so the bolt technically will be sticking inwards towards the bed of the truck approximately 2".
The bolt will then be secured with a nut up against the lip that way the bolt cannot move forward or backward. The bolt will then enter towards the back of the box and then it will be secured with a wing nut.
The reason I'm looking to go this route is if I ever need to remove the box for whatever reason I can simply remove a wing nut and take the box out of the back of the truck.
Also this will keep thieves from taking my box and just walking away with it. Granted nothing is theft proof but at least they would have to work at it if they want to get it that bad.

What are some options ideas suggestions to mount this box? It's going to seem nearly impossible to get a bolt through that lip from the can Side of the truck because there's about an inch of room back there but I'm sure there is a way around it.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:07 PM

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

What if you cut a couple holes like this?
oO Oo
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Ah ha ! Now that may work!!!
Old 02-27-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Self tappers
Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Brook trout
Self tappers
I considered that as well but I need something that I can be able to take out as many times possible and I don't want to end up making several holes in the bed of my truck.
Using self tappers are only good for a handful of times before the hole gets worn out
Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 AM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

Use a piece of all thread instead of bolt. Get a couple of the nylon lock nuts, run the all thread through, screw the nut down till the thread just barely come through the nut then secure as you originally intended.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Blackpony
Use a piece of all thread instead of bolt. Get a couple of the nylon lock nuts, run the all thread through, screw the nut down till the thread just barely come through the nut then secure as you originally intended.
Sorry for my ignorance but I'm not following.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps Blackpony meant use a small amount of threaded rod? throw nuts on one side of the rod and then slide it in, and secure as originally planned with the wing nut?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:26 PM

How will I be able to get the threaded rod between the bed of the pick up truck in the cab?
That's the issue I'm running into there's only about 1 to 2 inches of space between there
Old 02-27-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find a way to implement the holes that Teja posted, into both the bed and the box,make sure they match up location wise. then put on a tapered lock nut, slide the nut end thru the hole up into between the bed and the cab. then wing nut down.