Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Run wires for lights in Bed and those Ford Logo lights out door panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to Run wires for lights in Bed and those Ford Logo lights out door panel

Hey how's everything. So yeah i would like to know the safest (if thats possible) cleanest looking way to run Led lights in the bed of my 2006 F150Xl. Also i have those logo lights that project onto the floor and would like to run them off the dome light since its the only power source i have that comes on when i would like the floor lights to come on. Open for any idea's just would like to freaking put on some of these toys i bought. Lol getting tired of looking at them still in wrapping just looking back.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:42 PM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Received 360 Likes on 246 Posts

For the bed LEDs, use the trailer hot wire for power and ground the lights to your chassis. You can get a simple rocker switch from RadioShack for a few dollars to turn them on and off. The basic LED rolls sold on Amazon or eBay don't draw enough power to require a relay.

This is a sample wiring route for the bed LEDs. You can reach the trailer hot wire by looking behind your trailer connection by the rear bumper.

Positive:
Trailer hot wire > RadioShack switch > LED positive

Ground:
LED negative > chassis

If you want something that comes on with your dome lights for the other accessory, you may find it easier to tap into the positive wire of your cargo lights (white bulb in the brake light above your bed). This will trigger illumination when you hit the unlock button, open a door, or turn on the cargo lights manually.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

I ran my wiring through the tail light and behind the bedliner for a clean install. The switching is a fully customized setup however.

Quick Reply: How to Run wires for lights in Bed and those Ford Logo lights out door panel