Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"High and Tight" Running Boards Mod - Please give me your opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "High and Tight" Running Boards Mod - Please give me your opinion!

Hi,

I recently joined this forum to post my running boards mod, and to get everyone's opinion on whether or not it would be something people would consider purchasing if I were to ever bring it to market. Here we go...

My 2010 F150 Lariat came with stock Ford running boards. I have always disliked them because they hung down so low, and didn't have a clean, neat appearance. I have searched everywhere for an aftermarket solution, however I never found an alternative which I found attractive. I have taken them off and put them back on 3 times over the years, trying to find a look that I liked. After this final removal, I had an idea. I loved the running boards themselves, but didn't like how low they came down. So I re-mounted the brackets on one side, and shimmed up the board until I got it to a place which looked visually pleasing to my eye, yet was still functional. I instantly loved the look, and it was exactly the vision I had in my head for how I wanted my running boards to look... "High and Tight". Think old Corvette with chrome side pipes.

The challenge now was how to modify the brackets to make these boards sit where I wanted them to sit. After 4 days of engineering a solution (many failed attempts), I came up with a design which worked perfectly. It was tricky getting the angles exactly right, and finding a way to make the bracket stronger than the original. After mounting the modified brackets and installing the board on one side, I was ecstatic about the result! It was exactly the look I had been searching for for years! I was only going to do this for my truck, but I've had so much positive feedback so far that I'm contemplating finding a local fabricator to make these modified brackets for me so I can bring them to market. Here it is...

File photo of F150 with stock boards and brackets:

My truck with new "High and Tight" running boards:

And here is the modified bracket. The new mass produced bracket would obviously be one piece, and probably aluminum or powder coated steel:

Please give me your honest opinion on the look, whether or not it would be something you would purchase, and what you'd expect to pay for such a modification. Thanks for your help!

Eddie

Last edited by flyguy73; 05-25-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

I think it's an excellent concept and they do look nice that way. My worry is functionality.

Posting a picture of a size 10 boot trying to get up on there would be interesting. Do you have to step sideways?

Could push them out just a tad to remedy it.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:30 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I don't know why the pics posted all squished, but they look much better than the pics reveal. As far as functionality, yes you do sacrifice some. I have a size 12, so I'll post a pic tomorrow of my boot on the step. I put my foot on sideways, and I can still get a good portion of it on there. I can always make small tweaks to the design to bring them a little further out to improve functionality. However the further they come out, the further away from the clean and streamlined look I get. In order for this to be a success in terms of marketing, potential buyers would have to understand that these would provide a balance of good looks and function. I'm thinking that with running boards, you can really only have one or the other. Unless we are talking about a lifted 4x4 truck. Then I feel that low running boards or nerf bars would actually be both visibly and functionally pleasing. My target would be the 4x2, un-lifted market. These trucks seem to be caught in the middle of this area where they are too high for a ground effects kit, and too low for low hanging running boards. I think this design fills a niche where it provides a decent step for folks who need it, and an awesome "side pipe" effect which gives (especially the super crew) a much needed "filler" between the wheelbase to provide a powerful accent, and break up the monotony. Please keep the feedback coming. Thank you!

Last edited by flyguy73; 05-25-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:43 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by flyguy73
Thanks so much for the reply. I don't know why the pics posted all squished, but they look much better than the pics reveal. As far as functionality, yes you do sacrifice some. I have a size 12, so I'll post a pic tomorrow of my boot on the step. I put my foot on sideways, and I can still get a good portion of it on there. I can always make small tweaks to the design to bring them a little further out to improve functionality. However the further they come out, the further away from the clean and streamlined look I get. In order for this to be a success in terms of marketing, potential buyers would have to understand that these would provide a balance of good looks and function. I'm thinking that with running boards, you can really only have one or the other. Unless we are talking about a lifted 4x4 truck. Then I feel that low running boards or nerf bars would actually be both visibly and functionally pleasing. My target would be the 4x2, un-lifted market. These trucks seem to be caught in the middle of this area where they are too high for a ground effects kit, and too low for low hanging running boards. I think this design fills a niche where it provides a decent step for folks who need it, and an awesome "side pipe" effect which gives (especially the super crew) a much needed "filler" between the wheelbase to provide a powerful accent, and break up the monotony. Please keep the feedback coming. Thank you!
I definitely could see where there may be a market. The pictures didn't looked squished on the laptop. They look nice and it does fill the gap. Seems like you could use them with other running boards that mount the same way also.

I personally need steps that are more function; my better half needs them to get in. Otherwise I'd just remove them completely.

You'd have to hit the right price point. New steps can be pretty inexpensive, but what's nice is I'd suspect hardware could be reused.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Have to see good pics before commenting.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Aestecially they look ok on a loweredish truck, but I got rid of my oem ones just like that because they did nothing for helping me get in. I got a set a raptors because they stick out more and my foot fits easily, plus they protect me from a few door dings.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:55 PM

Size 12 boot. More than 3/4 of boot on step.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:27 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

I like them up closer to the body. The way they were to start would have had me remove them.

Nice work!
Old 05-27-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scott91370
I like them up closer to the body. The way they were to start would have had me remove them.

Nice work!
Thanks so much for the feedback! The way they were at the start is the way all 2009+ come from the factory. Really ugly. So what I'm trying to figure out is... would you buy them for your truck? If so, what would you reasonably expect to pay?

Thanks,

Eddie
Old 05-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flyguy73
....what I'm trying to figure out is... would you buy them for your truck? If so, what would you reasonably expect to pay?
I'd give $50 for a set of four, single piece construction and powder coated.

Quick Reply: "High and Tight" Running Boards Mod - Please give me your opinion!