Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Mirrors/Interior LEDS 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated Mirrors/Interior LEDS 2011

Just wanted to verify on a couple topics. Regarding the 2011 XLT. I had some questions regarding changes in years etc. So hopefully this will help the next guy that comes along.

Heated Mirrors- It is plug and play. Just verify you have fuse/relay 4,32,56 under the hood. I used part number bl3t-19980-cg. Light does not come on but does indeed work. I can live with that for the price.
I can not post in the classifieds yet. If anyone is looking to do this. I have another hvac control $45 shipped shoot me a pm.

LEDS- The wire to connect runs down driver side trim. Remove kick plate, remove weather strip. Small solid purple is positive, small solid black is negative. Turns on and off with the doors. Does NOT turn on when holding dash light switch. Note- Order right color LEDs so you do not have to wire them up a second time.

Last edited by Mike-3181; 02-10-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-3181
Just wanted to verify on a couple topics. Regarding the 2011 XLT. I had some questions regarding changes in years etc. So hopefully this will help the next guy that comes along.

Heated Mirrors- It is plug and play. Just verify you have fuse/relay 4,32,56 under the hood. I used part number bl3t-19980-cg. Light does not come on but does indeed work. I can live with that for the price.
I can not post in the classifieds yet. If anyone is looking to do this. I have another hvac control $45 shipped shoot me a pm.

LEDS- The wire to connect runs down driver side trim. Remove kick plate, remove weather strip. Small solid purple is positive, small solid black is negative. Turns on and off with the doors. Does NOT turn on when holding dash light switch. Note- Order right color LEDs so you do not have to wire them up a second time.

Do you know if the wire color changes for 2015?

I am planning on adding LED strip lights to the interior of my '15 F150 and the wife's '15 Taurus. Does anyone know if there is a power source (i.e. fuse or switch) I can tie in to make them go on and off with the dome lights? The goal is to have them linked to when the doors open and the dome light comes on... I want to figure out mine first before I attack the Taurus. Any info is appreciated.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:26 AM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Received 360 Likes on 246 Posts

I can't speak for the door trim harnesses but this is what I did to achieve what you're looking for in a 2015 truck.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/wirin...solved-316165/
The following users liked this post:
weetay1 (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM

Thumbs up Thank you!!

Originally Posted by J15
I can't speak for the door trim harnesses but this is what I did to achieve what you're looking for in a 2015 truck.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/wirin...solved-316165/

HAHA, yeah that would have been nice to see a week ago. I'm definitely going to look further in to it more. As of now... I found the dome light switch leg. I too was thinking about pulling my headliner and started thinking about what switch would be turning them on and off. I also started looking at the fuse and realized that wasn't going to work. I even tore apart my door panels looking at the wires running to that switch so I can follow those wire colors (they are not the same). With the dome light switch wire the lights go on and off with the dome and cargo lights, and when the bed lights are turned on the LEDs go on as well. They will not be on while in drive mode. I only installed LEDs under driver and passenger dash panels while I research what the BCM is going to do with the added resistance. Also, I did not add a relay yet, I'm thinking it will be a good idea if I do... then the dome light wire will act as the throw while it will receive the actual power from the battery.

Thank you for the schematic thread. If you learn anymore info on this project I would love to know.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:27 PM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Originally Posted by weetay1
HAHA, yeah that would have been nice to see a week ago. I'm definitely going to look further in to it more. As of now... I found the dome light switch leg. I too was thinking about pulling my headliner and started thinking about what switch would be turning them on and off. I also started looking at the fuse and realized that wasn't going to work. I even tore apart my door panels looking at the wires running to that switch so I can follow those wire colors (they are not the same). With the dome light switch wire the lights go on and off with the dome and cargo lights, and when the bed lights are turned on the LEDs go on as well. They will not be on while in drive mode. I only installed LEDs under driver and passenger dash panels while I research what the BCM is going to do with the added resistance. Also, I did not add a relay yet, I'm thinking it will be a good idea if I do... then the dome light wire will act as the throw while it will receive the actual power from the battery.

Thank you for the schematic thread. If you learn anymore info on this project I would love to know.
When it comes to electrical, I always run a relay. I worked at a powersports dealership and my experience there made it clear how much mechanics dread electrical work. It's always better to run the relay and avoid causing damage to OEM components. I've put 15,000 miles on the setup in the above link and it's worked great.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by J15
When it comes to electrical, I always run a relay. I worked at a powersports dealership and my experience there made it clear how much mechanics dread electrical work. It's always better to run the relay and avoid causing damage to OEM components. I've put 15,000 miles on the setup in the above link and it's worked great.

Understood, to get power to the relay would it best to come straight off the battery or could I come from a straight hot in the cab? right now I have my external lights coming trough the firewall... could I use that hot wire from there to pull from?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

I run a single fused 12 gauge wire from the battery to the cabin by the passenger kick panel and feed my relays from there.
The following 2 users liked this post by J15:
SS308 (05-18-2016), weetay1 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by J15
I run a single fused 12 gauge wire from the battery to the cabin by the passenger kick panel and feed my relays from there.

sounds good... thank you!

Quick Reply: Heated Mirrors/Interior LEDS 2011