Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom made Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Custom made Tonneau Cover

So, I needed a tonneau cover, and I couldn't quite find out in the market what I was after, so I made one.
I plan to add a rack (most likely Adarac) later, so I didn't want the flip style tonneau. I plan to make some low towers for hauling bikes.
I probably could have used the roll up style, but I didn't like how they have a big box up front taking up space.

This one I made is 3/4 inch marine plywood, and aluminum.
I like that it's so strong, I can stand on it. Not sure too many out in the market can do that.

The straps are so I can have the tailgate open, without the panels flying out the back, and also, I can have any combination of the panels missing, and still hold them in the forward position.

Future project, making a simple rack up front to store them vertically if I have to carry something big.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:00 AM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice build.

Devils Advocate:
1) all those straps seem a little overkill for simply keeping the boards in place. Could you run 1 rope/strap from the front of the bed to the back (going through each of the loops) to the same effect?

2) waterproofing- how do those seems do with water?
The following users liked this post:
7car7 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the comment. The straps look at bit "fussy" in pictures, but are super easy to use. The strap going to the front of the bed are there to keep the boards from sliding back. But I use the other strap that is attached to the front board so that I can pull the boards back. That way I don't have to keep going to the front to push them rearward and back to the back to remove each one.
With the quick-release clip they are really super easy.

As for leaks they are quite effective. In a really heavy rain I get a little tiny puddle on the bed floor under the ends of a couple of the joints. If I had to keep something absolutely perfectly dry then I would have to cover it with something. I wish it was perfectly dry but for the money that I spent on it I'm pretty happy.
UncleFester (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like that- looks like you spent a good deal of time working it out!

Tom
7car7 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:47 AM
Too Sweet

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 7car7
This one I made is 3/4 inch marine plywood, and aluminum.
I like that it's so strong, I can stand on it. Not sure too many out in the market can do that.
Nice build ... I do know that my Bakflip MX4 is rated for 400 pounds on the top of the closed cover.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice work! All closed up, it looks similar to the BAK Flip covers.

There are a few tonneaus that you can stand on but you're typically going to pay $600+ for them.
7car7 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

love to see injenuity like this! great work
7car7 (12-02-2016)