Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom LED tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom LED tail lights

So..... I was sick and tired of people not seeing my blinker. As most of you know, the tail lights on a 1991 f150 have the dual filament bulb so when your lights are off and you then brake or turn on your blinker it's quite easy to see, but if you already have your lights on and then brake or turn on your blinker the light goes from dim to barely less dim. I was driving around seeing all these nice, new, bright, easy recognizable tail lights so I figured it was time to alter mine.

Here's what I did:

1. Separate the tail light assemblies. I did this using the oven method and I also purchased a used set of assemblies from the junk yard so that way if I screwed them up I wouldn't be out too much money.

2. I painted the silver part of the assembly black. Not the back up light section...just the large section where I would be adding the LEDs

3. Glued two 6" oval trailer lights to the lenses. This took some modifying of the housings and took some designing before just simply gluing them in. I found these trailer tail lights at the local auto parts store. I liked them because they have the cool outer ring and the inner LEDs. Just a little different style than your average 6" oval.

4. I then resecured the lenses to the housings. Some hot glue to hold it temporarily and some silicone worked well.

5. Then just wired them up. Most 6" oval trailer lights are tail, turn and stop lights in one so they already have all the necessary resistors and already have three wires (ground, tail light power and turn signal power)

This is what they look like when off, obviously

This is when the tail light is on only

This is what it looks like when I turn the blinker on or step on the brakes whether my lights are on or not

So when my lights are on and I brake or use a turn signal just the middle of the rings illuminate. When my lights are off and I brake or use the turn signal the ring and the middle illuminates.

These things are ridiculously bright and noticeable... way safer, much better looking and much more modern than the old lights! I am very happy with the way it turned out. Oh, I also used two 6" ovals in each housing so that way the lights would be very noticeable by any car directly next to me. As you can tell, these photos are daytime and they are very noticeable. They look even better at night.

Last edited by acbanuchi; 10-28-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:42 PM

Pictures of them at night

Old 11-10-2014, 03:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome!! Great work!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:23 PM
A guy with a truck...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the innovative spirit, nicely done!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:33 AM

Cool
Very neat set-up
Old 01-10-2015, 07:36 AM
Stud Muffin

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work. I seriously wish a company would make LED tails for our years.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Call me Mike Honcho

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! Love it!
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

What did other drivers do after you installed the new lights, holler out their windows, " I can see your turn signals better now?"

Quick Reply: Custom LED tail lights