Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable rack for roof top tent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Adjustable rack for roof top tent?

I've been trying to source an adjustable truck rack with the following criteria:

1. Can accommodate ~ 700 pounds.
2. Can accept a roof top tent.
3. Can be adjusted to be at least 1' below the top of the cab, perhaps even flush with the top of the bed.
4. Can be raised to allow an ATV to be hauled beneath.
5. Easily removable.

The general idea is to have a rack that allows me to carry a roof top tent that will be below the roof to help with fuel economy, center of gravity, as well as protect the tent from limbs and such while also giving me the option to raise it up and allow me to load an ATV *and* bring along the tent.

I've spent a few days searching for manufactured options and can find some of the features that I want, but not all. Generally, it's either a weight bearing issue or they don't adjust as low as I need.

I've got an idea of how to make something like this out of channel struts and tubing but can't figure out what sort of clamps to use to mount to the side of the bed. I'm also concerned about the aluminum sides perhaps not being rugged enough to hold up to what I'm asking of it.

Has anyone done or seen something similar?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if you've seen these guys in your search, but they just released this bed rack for tents.

http://www.rcimetalworks.com/09-F150-Bed-Rack-F150bedrack.htm
Old 02-07-2017, 01:21 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Considering the options of 1- building one yourself ($300+) or 2- buying a truck cap ($2,000+), that's a pretty cool idea (IF your don't care about your gear being exposed to the elements or thievery).
Old 04-10-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.instagram.com/leitnerdesigns/

http://www.leitnerdesigns.com

Maybe check out this company. Hold up to 1000 lbs

Last edited by BenjaminCA; 04-10-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-...-pro-_-1684728

700 lb capacity is going to very likely limit you to custom options only. You can find fixed racks that will accommodate that amount of weight but adjustable is going to be tough with that sort of capacity.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:49 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

My SnugTop truck cap is rated for 200# dynamic load and 750# static load.

FYI/FWIW
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heavy Duty Adjustable Rack

Originally Posted by longbedbob
I've been trying to source an adjustable truck rack with the following criteria:

3. Can be adjusted to be at least 1' below the top of the cab, perhaps even flush with the top of the bed.
5. Easily removable.

The general idea is to have a rack that allows me to carry a roof top tent that will be below the roof to help with fuel economy, center of gravity, as well as protect the tent from limbs and such while also giving me the option to raise it up and allow me to load an ATV *and* bring along the tent.

I've spent a few days searching for manufactured options and can find some of the features that I want, but not all. Generally, it's either a weight bearing issue or they don't adjust as low as I need.

I've got an idea of how to make something like this out of channel struts and tubing but can't figure out what sort of clamps to use to mount to the side of the bed. I'm also concerned about the aluminum sides perhaps not being rugged enough to hold up to what I'm asking of it.

Look at this and call Vantech:
http://vantech.us/Pickup-Truck_c9.htm

I spoke to a rep there yesterday who indicated that the rack has an 800 lb capacity and is adjustable.

Thule also makes the Xporter Rack, which I think is 800lbs. Correction, Xsporter. Rated at 450lbs.

Trac Rac makes a rack that you can slide forward on the bed rail so both arcs ride right behind the cab.

Personally, I'm looking for heavy duty ultra low profile rack to go over my 23" cap and still get me into a 7ft parking garage when I work in the metropolis. Measuring from the tailgate and adding in for the cap, I have 3.75" till I hit 7ft, so I've really got only about 2.75 vertical inches to work with. Right now I have a Cross Tread Renegade XT that mounts on the rail and holds 750lbs. I had Cross Tread cut it 2" shorter for my 2001 (so it's at 6ft 10.75") but the 2016 f150 is regrettably taller. I'm not really keen on mounting a rack to the DCU roof as it drops the weight capacity.

Last edited by dirtyfingers; 05-20-2017 at 12:42 AM. Reason: alzheimer's
Old 05-20-2017, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apologies, Thule has the Xsporter, which has a 450 lb max load...
Old 11-15-2017, 08:55 AM
KB Voodoo Fabrications

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by longbedbob

5. Easily removable.

We (www.kbvoodoo.com) have two different options for you.

This is our Premium Bed Rack. (this is the 10" high version)

This is our newest rack. It will be released in about a week.

It works with tonneau covers, and allows the cover to be fully opened while installed. Height is fully adjustable.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KB Voodoo Fab
We (www.kbvoodoo.com) have two different options for you.

This is our Premium Bed Rack. (this is the 10" high version)

This is our newest rack. It will be released in about a week.

It works with tonneau covers, and allows the cover to be fully opened while installed. Height is fully adjustable.

Do you have video on how it works with tonneau cover? Does it work with Bak flip mx4? I can't see how that's going to work.