Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015-Present Grille bug/rock deflector DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015-Present Grille bug/rock deflector DIY

Hey all. So I recently purchased an F150 and have traveled to PA from NJ and back numerous times and noticed many bugs inside the grille. Sure, I can purchase something and cover my grille with some kind of "mesh" for like 100 bucks from Auto Anything but why? DIY is so much better...

You will need aluminum window screen from your local hardware store, soldering gun to spot weld some plastic (or any other very hot, concentrated heat source) to the aluminum screen, and various sockets to take the grille apart and a good pair of scissors.

You will find many tutorials how to take the grille apart. Once the grille is apart, you simply cut the screen to fit the interior of the grille and melt a bit of the plastic to the screen as you go. see the pictures attached. Looks great too.

The following users liked this post:
Erock67 (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Great idea! I just might do this on my 2011.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Erock67
Great idea! I just might do this on my 2011.
Hey no problem! Ive done this to Jeeps new and old and Ive saved numerous radiators from being smacked with rocks and road debris.

Quick Reply: 2015-Present Grille bug/rock deflector DIY