Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Custom Center Console Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Custom Center Console Build

I know it has been doing a 1,000+ times but I figured I'd share my build so other people can get some ideas and it will hopefully keep me on top of this project instead of it just sitting in my garage for months.

So I pulled the jump seat out of my 2011 XL. I hate the jump seat, it never gets used, storage is a P.I.A to get to, and I do not like the placement of the cupholders near the floor. Figured it would be cheaper and better if I built my own center console instead of buying a Ford one.

So this will from the rear of the seats to the bottom section of the dash board. 2 cup holders will placed in the mid section. The top section will open up and have a storage compartment along with a small handgun safe built into it. The top section will overhang the sides a little bit and be wrapped in black vinyl. For the sides I will make an insert out of thin plexi glass and wrap it in gray vinyl and glue it on.

I do not claim to be a carpenter or even relatively talented with woodwork.....just a disclaimer before I get started.

I started with cardboard getting the general shape of the floor. I will be using 4 mounting bolts for the original jump seat.

https://www.f150forum.com/attachment...1&d=1427160013
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Custom Center Console Build-2.jpg  
Old 03-23-2015, 09:27 PM

Default Day 2

I then traced the cardboard templete onto some 1/2" MDF board. The main reason I used MDF is because I am used to it, I have used it many times in the past to make subwoofer boxes. Cut the two pieces out, and test fit them, made some minor adjustments. Clamped the two pieces together and sanded all the sides to make sure everything was even so far.

https://www.f150forum.com/attachment...1&d=1427160264

Onces I got that done I started to make some pieces to run across the bottom. Not the best looking pieces but they will never be seen so I am not to worried about them as of right now. Predrilled and countersunk all of the holes for the screws since this MDF splits so easy. They are not glued together yet....My plan is to get the whole thing framed up and fit properly and ill take it back apart and glue everything together. Pretty strong right now for just having screws.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Custom Center Console Build-1.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-3.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-4.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-5.jpg  
Old 03-23-2015, 09:29 PM

Default Some more pictures from today

This is what I got done before I got dark today
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Custom Center Console Build-6.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-7.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-8.jpg  
Old 03-25-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is awesome, keep up the awesome job. Can't wait to see it complete.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:30 AM

So was not too happy with the fitment of my last console due to some really awful cuts....so I started from scratch today. Also not putting a gun safe in, I can't find a decent gun safe small enough for this for a halfway decent price. Instead I am going to put 6.75" Rockford Fosgate speakers in the front, an 8" Rockford fosgate sub in the back, 6x8" Rockford Fosgate speakers in the doors, and hopefully have enough room under the console to put a 5 channel Rockford fosgate amp. For the speakers I'm building small enclosures into the console to help the Mid-bass sound a little better. Also borrowed a router from a friend this time, helped a ton with getting everything straight and I was able to add an 1/8" by 1/8" rabbet around the edges of the top pieces where the two pieces of vinyl will meet inside the rabbet edge. As you can see from the pictures the speaker boxes in the front, the middle compartment for storage, and the subwoofer box built into the rear. Ill be taking the top piece off to cut a whole for the storage compartment, and Ill have a seperate piece for the lid.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Custom Center Console Build-10.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-9.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-11.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-12.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-13.jpg  

2011 Custom Center Console Build-14.jpg  
Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 AM

More...
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Custom Center Console Build-15.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-16.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of doing something similar with mine, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks for putting it together!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 AM

Default Vinyl

Got my vinyl samples in today. Going to do the top in the regular black vinyl, and the sides in the black diamond plate vinyl. I'm not sure why but they did not come out near as dark in the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Custom Center Console Build-vinyl-sample.jpg  
Old 04-15-2015, 09:26 AM

Well almost got her finished up yesterday. Used Landau top and trim adhesive with a cheap spray gun. The adhesive was pretty expensive but from my internet research is suppose to hold up very well. The orange sheets you see next to the glue and gun are called speed foam. They have adhesive on the back side. I went to home depot and bought the stickers you put on mail boxes, taped those down to the speed foam, and cut the "F150" out of the speed foam. Next I taped down the sides of the box while I did the top section. Sprayed the glue on the top section, and also the back side of the vinyl since it is a contact adhesive. Let sit for 5 minutes or so until tacky, laid the vinyl down and started working it smooth with my hand. I used a cheap rounded plastic panel remover from home depot to push the vinyl down into the creases of the F150 lettering. The hard part was working around the edges. Used a rubber mallet and a 1" wide metal scraper to softly tap the vinyl into the edges before cutting it. On the front and back I just stapled it since you wont be seeing it. After finishing up the top I removed the tape from the sides, taped the top, and did the same process for both side. The side were much easier since it was flat. Did the inside storage area two days ago with basic speaker box carpet. Forget to take pictures but I also have a lid that will go on top, I have not got around to installing yet. A couple of the corners on the top are kind of ugly now, have not figured out what I am going to do with those yet. Coming together pretty good so far though.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Custom Center Console Build-glue-spray-gun-speed-foam.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-top-vinyl-.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-f150-embossed.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-vinyl-top-side.jpg   2011 Custom Center Console Build-truck-1.jpg  

2011 Custom Center Console Build-truck-2.jpg  
Old 04-15-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Pretty cool looking!

Quick Reply: 2011 Custom Center Console Build