Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008xl 2wd to 4wd and bus seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008xl 2wd to 4wd and bus seats

Hello everyone, I have a 2008 2wd 4.2L v6 retired work truck. This is my first truck as I'm still a teenager and although it gets me where I need to go and then some, I have always wanted 4wd so I could hang with my jeep buddies. I understand what components are missing, transfer case, front end, ect. And I'm aware how big of a pain it would be to do the conversion but I'm not going to be able to sell the truck so if Im wondering a few things, 1) is it possible to do the conversion 2) just how would I go about it and 3) are there any tutorials I could look at to see it being done. The other thing Im Wondering about is Putting seats in the bed, could anyone give me some advise on that?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The $$ it would take to get it done you would be better off just buying a different truck.

So yes it's possible but cost prohibitive.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about doing this to my truck, a 2007 XL 4.2l. Mine is a manual transmission.

When I did my motor replacement I really took a look at some stuff to do a conversion like this. I would need a 4x4 housing for a m5r2, transfer case, driveshaft shortened, new front driveshaft, maybe a bracket for tcase, and a whole new front end.

If I'm going to do this conversion I would get all my parts together first, of course, but maybe put the extension housing, tcase, and shorter driveshaft in first. Drive for a while and then tackle the front end another weekend.

I kinda want to do it.

... Thread resurrection....?
Old 02-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Find an old beater to play with. 91-94 explorers are getting pretty cheap, and are fairly easy to upgrade (and are pretty dang tough stock)

Keep your DD clean and on the street. Monday morning sucks when you busted your main ride Saturday night...

and it will probably be cheaper in the long run.

Quick Reply: 2008xl 2wd to 4wd and bus seats