Topic Sponsor
Custom Fabrication Department This is the section to discuss any and all custom work that you've done or had made that may not be available on the retail market.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 volt dash tray power point

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 AM
Not Quite There (yet?)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 12 volt dash tray power point

Everyone-

My idea is this: I want a 12v plug in the dash tray on my 2013 XLT.

Why? I use my iPhone for tunes and phone, and the iPad for DashCommand. The iPad is a must, I use it like a ScanGauge and with it can keep my MPG's darn near 19 mixed.

But I HATE dangly cords everywhere.

I'm pretty sure I can figure how to fab the power point (and will be happy to provide the write up), but I need to know if there are any key-on 12 v power options under the dashtray.

Anyone know off the cuff?
Old 11-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this post is a few months old, but I would like to know if there is a keyed on wire i can hook into for a dash cam.
Did you end up finding one?
Old 11-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Not Quite There (yet?)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBlue150
I know this post is a few months old, but I would like to know if there is a keyed on wire i can hook into for a dash cam.
Did you end up finding one?
My apologies for the delay.

Yeah, this one fell off my radar quite a while back.

Didn't find that one specifically, but did find this:

Old 11-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The only power in the center console is battery hot for the rear 12volt power port. However, if you are dealing with just IPhone / IPad power needs then you do not really need keyed power as the units will go to sleep when not in use and once they are fully charged they will not up a drain on the battery. I leave a GPS unit plugged in and on all the time (forget to shut it off over night) and I never have a problem. I also have a re-charge drop light that is constantly connected to battery power and do not have any issues. As a matter of fact, just recently hard wired the charge cable into the center console.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I redid my 2006 center console and dash 12 volt outlets into dual usb ports. I left them to constant and ill sometimes just leave my phone plugged in with the car off and go inside for an hour or something. Your battery wont die even if you leave it all night.

Quick Reply: 12 volt dash tray power point