Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you send it back...again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Would you send it back...again?

Fellas

Sorry for creating another thread just for this but I'm really wondering if I'm being unreasonable. Those of you who have had truck caps please chime in. I'm new to the truck world...

I ordered an ARE V-Series cap and upon delivery, sent it back because it looked Guard. My Plat is Tuxedo Black and my cap was 1400$ ish out the door to color match it with a carpet liner, LED light, front and side sliding windows.

Two weeks later I got the repainted cap which seemed better on a dark gloomy day (first set of pics). Today I parked on the top level of my deck and noticed when the sun shines directly on it, it still doesn't look right...is greenish tint.

Normally it looks fine so I'm curious since I'm moving to Florida and expect more sunny days -- would you send it back? I'm not trying to nitpick or complain. I'm honestly asking for advice because I know they will reply "it won't be perfect." Because of ARE's warranty, it wouldnt cost me anything. Pics from today are at the end.

For $1400 and change, would you send it back a second time? Thanks for your input!

Round 2: Cap was a better match than the first time (tuxedo black)

Looked fine from the back

Sun shining on it this morning - greenish tint annoys me

From an angle
Old 03-31-2015, 03:25 PM
2015 S/C 4x4 K/R Owner

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubby4113
Fellas

Sorry for creating another thread just for this but I'm really wondering if I'm being unreasonable. Those of you who have had truck caps please chime in. I'm new to the truck world...

I ordered an ARE V-Series cap and upon delivery, sent it back because it looked Guard. My Plat is Tuxedo Black and my cap was 1400$ ish out the door to color match it with a carpet liner, LED light, front and side sliding windows.

Two weeks later I got the repainted cap which seemed better on a dark gloomy day (first set of pics). Today I parked on the top level of my deck and noticed when the sun shines directly on it, it still doesn't look right...is greenish tint.

Normally it looks fine so I'm curious since I'm moving to Florida and expect more sunny days -- would you send it back? I'm not trying to nitpick or complain. I'm honestly asking for advice because I know they will reply "it won't be perfect." Because of ARE's warranty, it wouldnt cost me anything. Pics from today are at the end.

For $1400 and change, would you send it back a second time? Thanks for your input!

Round 2: Cap was a better match than the first time (tuxedo black)

Looked fine from the back

Sun shining on it this morning - greenish tint annoys me

From an angle
Id want it closer than that. You spent too much for that big of a disparity in color
Old 03-31-2015, 03:26 PM
It's an ID10T error sir!

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Color match will likely never be perfect...they'd probably need the truck there to get it close...that's my guess at least...
Old 03-31-2015, 03:30 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I would send it back. But that's me
Old 03-31-2015, 03:32 PM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

I doubt you could get much closer than that, but I don't know. There is a silver Dodge here at work that isn't perfectly matched, but it's so close. To be honest, I have yet to find one that matches perfectly.

I just showed the picture to a colleague here at work and asked what I thought of your truck by the pictures, but did not explain your paint dilemma. He is more OCD than me, yet did not notice the paint. The only response was that I should buy a 2015! LOL!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I suspect you are seeing the guard green undercoating. If you think this will bother you six months from now, then send it back.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I always said if it will bother you next month fix it. I would hate it next month, too noticeable.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

I would think a black metallic would be a very hard color to match perfectly. I understand and see why you're upset, but I just don't know if you're going to get it to match any better without taking it somewhere locally and having it repainted.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

With modern automotive paint formulations being formulated practically to molecular proportions (and duplicated thusly), I am surprised to hear of your experience in these times. Since 1993, all of my several Ford pickups have had various colors of PTM hard tonneau covers from SnugTop. There has never been one iota of color mismatching...it has often astounded me how perfect the matches were.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I wouldn't accept that as a match to tuxedo black.

Quick Reply: Would you send it back...again?