Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring LED Pods as Reverse Lights Question

Old 12-10-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring LED Pods as Reverse Lights Question

Ok so I have a wiring question. I have a 2017 F150 and I want to wire some LED pods I bought to mount under my rear bumper. I want them come on every time I shift into reverse, and would like to use the wiring from my 7 pin connector that's already in place. I bought the wiring kit that come with the relay and the 2 pods. My thinking was this: Black wire from relay to ground, Red wire from relay to the orange wire in the 7 pin (which I read was the power), then the white wire from the relay to the grey wire with a stripe that goes to the center of the 7 pin (which should be the reverse light). Got all those hooked up, plugged the LED pods up and threw it in reverse, and nothing. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the diagram I used for which wire is which:
http://typhoonland.com/wp-content/up...rse-Lights.jpg

Edit: Finally figured this out, so posting here to save people from having to read the entire thread. I used the lights ($18) from here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And the harness ($12) from here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ran a hot wire from the battery to the red fused wire of the relay, ran the ground to the existing ground on the rear driver side of the frame, and tapped the white "trigger wire" from the relay into the green w/ brown stripe reverse wire (pin position 4) on the harness of the driver side tail light. I mounted the relay right behind the light then replaced the light.

I then drilled 2 holes in the little drop-down pieces of the frame and mounted the brackets for the lights. Wired them up, zip-tied everything, and that's it. Lights now kick on every time I put the truck in reverse. I may change out the relay to add a switch at another time, but for now I'm very happy. Pics of the finished product below

Last edited by ShelbyF150MD; 12-11-2016 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Summary and added pictures
Old 12-10-2016, 09:48 PM

I ran a hot wire directly from the battery to the red fused wire on the relay, so I know my power source is good. Ground is good. My trigger wire is the only thing not working now.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

I just used the center wire (gray IIRC) on the round trailer plug for power, it is meant for reverse lights on a trailer but I have never seen a trailer with reverse lights. Find a suitable ground and you're done, comes on every time you put it in reverse and doesn't blow fuses.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:38 PM

So you just have 2 wires, ground and tapped the center wire for power? That sounds much better than getting all cute with the relay and everything. The lights are the LED pods, so they shouldn't be pulling much so blowing a fuse shouldn't be an issue at all (I hope).
Old 12-11-2016, 06:22 AM

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Exactly, just the 2 wires. On my 2013 I had 100 watt bulbs in my back up lights and still didn't blow a fuse, my 2016 has bright LED back up lights and no problems. Double check with a test light but I'm sure the wire was gray and was the center wire on the large round trailer plug.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 1,266 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Glassguy72
Exactly, just the 2 wires. On my 2013 I had 100 watt bulbs in my back up lights and still didn't blow a fuse, my 2016 has bright LED back up lights and no problems. Double check with a test light but I'm sure the wire was gray and was the center wire on the large round trailer plug.
Are you saying that you haven't done this on your 2016? This might explain why you said it worked if you are talking about your old 2013..

Seems most are having problems with 2015+ when trying to tap into the trailer wiring.

Last edited by Livoniabob; 12-11-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:05 AM

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble. I guess I'm just going to run a wire into the cab to a switch and just activate them manually
Old 12-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ShelbyF150MD
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble. I guess I'm just going to run a wire into the cab to a switch and just activate them manually
I wired a pair LEDs as follows: soldered a ring terminal to the black wire and connected it to the existing ground point on the left-hand frame rail, near spare tire. Spliced the red power wire into reverse wire behind left tail light, with a 10A inline fuse. Doing the splice behind the taillight keeps the splice protected from the weather.
The following users liked this post:
wildcat333 (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Theocoog
I wired a pair LEDs as follows: soldered a ring terminal to the black wire and connected it to the existing ground point on the left-hand frame rail, near spare tire. Spliced the red power wire into reverse wire behind left tail light, with a 10A inline fuse. Doing the splice behind the taillight keeps the splice protected from the weather.
Which wire is the reverse wire on the taillight harness? I have a 2017 with the LED taillights, so I'm not sure which one is the reverse light. There are a total of 9 wires I believe?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ShelbyF150MD
Which wire is the reverse wire on the taillight harness? I have a 2017 with the LED taillights, so I'm not sure which one is the reverse light. There are a total of 9 wires I believe?
This wiring diagram is from a 2016 Service Manual. It looks like green w/brown stripe is reverse, but you should confirm that with a multimeter since you have a 2017.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiring LED Pods as Reverse Lights Question