Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wipers left ON in Carwash...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Windshield wipers left ON in Carwash...

...Don't do it. Now the wipers no longer work correctly .

I was reading an email and ignored the outside world in an auto car wash (with the type of heavy material which drapes over the windshield when cleaning the truck), WITH wipers left on in my new 2015 Plat earlier today. Did not catch it until too late. The wiper motor now clunks loudly and fights HARD to get half a swipe in. I have an appt. at dealer tomorrow, but in the meantime, no wet weather driving for me. Do I deserve to have this truck after that idiotic move? NO, but I am keeping it anyway.

BTW, I just returned from a 1200 mile road trip to Idaho and truck was flawless and extremely comfortable. This thing exceeds my expectations in just about every way. I received my special order '15 platinum 2 weeks ago, and already have over 1800 miles on it. Bedrug installed, and a Retrax Pro MX gets installed on Friday.

Thanks Ford! (but why no sensors in the front bumpers like some of the other vehicles I have had, for parking purposes, which are manual on/off)?
Old 02-17-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

How do you not know your wipers are on in a touch car wash?!

True bummer! Trade in the $60,000 truck and maybe pick out a nice Escape or something
The following 2 users liked this post by DC4MVP:
Red13 (02-17-2015), Texrep (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think he may be talking about the rain sensing wipers...that turn on automatically.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:18 PM
LONG TIME FORD GUY

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Hey stuff happens maybe don't tell dealer how it happened and they will fix it...
Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 PM
LONG TIME FORD GUY

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jmaldonado
I think he may be talking about the rain sensing wipers...that turn on automatically.
Good question.. can/how do you turn them off? I use the auto wash often myself
Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 PM

Received 115 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Texrep
Good question.. can/how do you turn them off? I use the auto wash often myself

It's under the vehicle settings in the Instrument cluster screen. There are settings for the rain sensor and courtesy wipe.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by DC4MVP
How do you not know your wipers are on in a touch car wash?!

True bummer! Trade in the $60,000 truck and maybe pick out a nice Escape or something
This was not a touch-less car wash. The material was heavy, like denim almost, as it went across the windshield and got into a fight of wills with my wipers. This was a truly idiotic move on my part, since I cannot blame the auto-courtesy swipe setting. This was due to me giving it a manual swipe, and immediately going to email on my phone and leaving the wipers in the ON position. I cannot blame Ford for this one, but I will try to make it a warranty repair item if allowed to. I am an honest guy, so I will tell them what happened, and then ask for warranty work.

Just don't kick me off the forum, it won't happen again.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:17 AM

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchingTime
This was not a touch-less car wash. The material was heavy, like denim almost, as it went across the windshield and got into a fight of wills with my wipers. This was a truly idiotic move on my part, since I cannot blame the auto-courtesy swipe setting. This was due to me giving it a manual swipe, and immediately going to email on my phone and leaving the wipers in the ON position. I cannot blame Ford for this one, but I will try to make it a warranty repair item if allowed to. I am an honest guy, so I will tell them what happened, and then ask for warranty work.

Just don't kick me off the forum, it won't happen again.
I never ever ever take my vehicles through the touch car wash. Just don't trust them. That material gets pretty damn heavy when wet.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (03-22-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 05:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DC4MVP
I never ever ever take my vehicles through the touch car wash. Just don't trust them. That material gets pretty damn heavy when wet.
Likewise, especially the ones like the OP describes with the heavy 'drapes' that drag over the car........That's some pretty heavy material being dragged over your nice new paint!!! And you never know what dirt is lodged in them.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:15 PM

$Damage$ report-

I took the truck into the dealer today. I was able to look at the damage myself in the shop: I snapped a wiper motor off its mount and broke several bolts. The new parts with labor are $385.00 and I have to wait 5 days .

No one to blame but myself, but this will never, ever happen again. At least to me.

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers left ON in Carwash...