Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cracked - replacement unavailable

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield cracked - replacement unavailable

Front windshield cracked about a month ago. Came back from a long drive, parked in the garage. Everything seemed fine. Didn't see or hear anything. Next morning walked into the garage to find a 6 inch crack running from the left edge towards the center. Although it was a cold January night, it couldn't have been too cold as I live in Houston!

The crack is right in the eye line so I need it get the glass replaced instead of repaired. Contacted a few dealers and also SafeLite. Everybody told me the windshield is on "national back-order" so it would take a few weeks to get it. Ordered it through SafeLite and waited patiently for a month. Meanwhile the crack has grown to about two feet long.

Now I am being told it could take up to six months to get it. It seems Ford outsourced the part to China and ever since there has been a shortage.

There is an aftermarket glass I could get but I would lose the rain sensor, acoustic shield and lane departure features. SafeLite may not even put it (they are still trying to figure out if they can) due to liability concerns so I may have to find a local shop to do it.

Trying to decide if I want to wait indefinitely for the OEM or just go with the aftermarket (and possibly trade in the handicapped truck at some point)

Any advice?
Old 02-12-2016, 10:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Wait for OEM Windshield.

The bigger question for me is why or what put stress on it too break?
No noticeable places where it might have gotten hit by a rock? Is this the first time it was cold since you purchased the truck?

Run your finger over the complete crack and see if you feel a nick in the glass... or take a bar of soap and rub it along the crack it will collect in any minor indentation.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd wait for the OEM, if you can. You paid for those features, why allow them to be disabled?

-John
Old 02-12-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm sure there are many here, like myself, who have had their windshield replaced with an OEM equivalent without losing functionality. My replacement was even in-stock at a smaller auto-glass installer who did a very good job - something I was quite concerned about given all that could go wrong.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by dougrkyle
Wait for OEM Windshield.

The bigger question for me is why or what put stress on it too break?
No noticeable places where it might have gotten hit by a rock? Is this the first time it was cold since you purchased the truck?

Run your finger over the complete crack and see if you feel a nick in the glass... or take a bar of soap and rub it along the crack it will collect in any minor indentation.
There is a spot in the middle of the crack that could be a rockchip - although I didn't hear anything while driving.

Yes this was the first "cold" (~34c) night since the purchase.

I can feel the entire length of the crack from the outside but not from the inside of the truck
Attached Thumbnails Windshield cracked - replacement unavailable-imag1048.jpg  
Old 02-12-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine did the same thing. I came out one morning and there was a 14" crack from the passenger top of the windshield. I know a rock never hit mine since I'm the only driver. If there is a National back order then I'm thinking there is a major problem with these windshields. I had mine replaced in January and there was no issue. OEM glass and I think I paid around $430.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep that what it appears too be... that would make me feel more comfortable. something hit it and caused the stress the cold weather just helped it along. It was coming/going to happen.

You will not feel anything on the inside. Windshield glass is laminated. Picture taking double sided tape on a piece of glass and then laying another piece on glass on top of it. you have just cracked the outer sheet.

either way my two cents would be wait for a OEM piece of glass so you have all the functionality you purchased with the truck. You might also continue to make calls too other shops.. having that kinda of delay is not viable... That would mean any wrecked F150 would be required to sit for 6 months before being drive-able/ repairable after a wreck...

Either way good luck and sorry to hear about your windshield.

Doug
Old 02-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

My dealer ordered one for me with expedited shipping from Carlite (OEM Manufacturer) which cost me about $350 total, although mine does not have the rain sensor thingy. It arrived there in 2 days. That did not include the installation charge. Your dealer should be able to check stock at every dealer in the US as well as the manufacturers warehouse, mine did it in a couple mins.

Good luck,
Schlim66

Last edited by schlim66; 02-12-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I thought Carelite manufactured all the windshields, news to me that they do it in China.

You can contact them quite easily here: http://carlite.com/contact-us/ and they could help you find one or give you an honest estimate of availability.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:45 PM

thanks all. dropped carlite a note. lets see what they say.

Quick Reply: Windshield cracked - replacement unavailable