Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:47 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Window tinting

So my new Lariat should be in any day now, I have all mods planned and accounted for except window tinting. I have to admit that is one area I don't know very much about. I do understand the main differences between metalized, ceramic, etc. I started looking for a good shop but it seems they each have their preferred brands and of course are big fans of mainly what they're each selling. So I thought I would ask here for recommendations on brands, type, style, etc. the pick the shop that offers that specifically. So what is the good stuff? What is the best to use in conjunction with the colored rear glass on our new F150's?
Old 08-17-2015, 01:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Window tinting

I did ceramic all the way around. I'm pretty sure it was 3m if I remember correctly. I did 50 percent on top of the colored glass and 35 percent on the front. Still very easy to see at night but the heat inside is night and day different
The following users liked this post:
yugnat (08-19-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 04:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like 3m and Suntek. I have suntek on mine right not. Not problems. I had 3m on my last truck. I go back an fourth. No reason as to why. Just do. If you go with ether you will be happy. And I see your in spring. Check out a place called MP audio on 1960 near 249. He has done all my trucks, my friends truck and my parents. Only had one problem with small bubbles. He fixed with no fuss.
yugnat (08-19-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 09:36 AM

Received 352 Likes on 245 Posts

Check your heat and uv rejection ratings for each brand and percentage of tint. With my guy's preferred tint (SunTek), there was little difference between the percentages, as they all do a good job at rejecting....so darkness is by preference of look, more than effectiveness.

I did a variety of tint percentages:
80% and 70% for some things, 18% Front Doors and 35% Rear Glass and Doors. If you want the tint visibility to look the same front doors to rear doors, you may want 50%-70% on the rear glass and doors.

Last edited by srg963; 08-18-2015 at 09:39 AM.
yugnat (08-19-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

Photosync by Solar Adaptive technologies, but you're looking at $700 for the cab

I went w/ Huper optik, 2nd best imo about $500 for the cab.

I had to get winco for my winshield because Huper doesn't make a 93% tint, and I can tell the diff. between that an Huper in clarity. I didn't know about my current install a few yrs ago when we tinted my wife's car, and we got suntek ceramic and were pretty unhappy w/ it, because it was smoky compared to Huper.

are you going to tint your sunroof? windshield? I mean the whole windshield. both are major kinks in your armor against heat.

Last edited by RACER X; 08-18-2015 at 10:17 AM.
yugnat (08-19-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I used Llumar CTX, ceramic 30% on sides and rear and Air80 on the windshield, it made a huge difference on the heat coming through the glass...BTW if anyone is curious and is trying to stay legal to somewhat legal the un-tinted driver/passenger door glass meters at 2 so just subtract that from the tint manufacturers VLT = visible light transmittance rating and you will have your total VLT
yugnat (08-19-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i also went with 3m 30 i believe all around the cab, crystalline on the front windshield, best heat rejection. in texas it is necessary.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by RACER X
Photosync by Solar Adaptive technologies, but you're looking at $700 for the cab

I went w/ Huper optik, 2nd best imo about $500 for the cab.

I had to get winco for my winshield because Huper doesn't make a 93% tint, and I can tell the diff. between that an Huper in clarity. I didn't know about my current install a few yrs ago when we tinted my wife's car, and we got suntek ceramic and were pretty unhappy w/ it, because it was smoky compared to Huper.

are you going to tint your sunroof? windshield? I mean the whole windshield. both are major kinks in your armor against heat.
Thanks for this info - Photosync and Huper are two at the top of the list I found as well, in addition the 3M Crystalline was also at the top more or less tied with Huper. I'll pass on the Photosync ($$$) so it'll come down to Huper or 3M Crystalline, I'm not sure which one has the best color to give a uniform look all around considering the factory colored glass in back. I do see people go with Crystalline on the full windshield (which I would do if I go 3M).

I see you're in Richmond, do you recommend any shops in Houston? I may just go to the Huper and 3M site to pick one of their listed dealers.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want quality work and huper, look up Evs motors in bellaire. Some of the best tint work and their team is up front about everything. No salesman bs.

Got solar adaptive on my front windshield and it's a game changer. Huper ceramic on all other windows.
yugnat (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by davidle112
If you want quality work and huper, look up Evs motors in bellaire. Some of the best tint work and their team is up front about everything. No salesman bs.

Got solar adaptive on my front windshield and it's a game changer. Huper ceramic on all other windows.
Thanks for the recommendation. I thought EVS serviced really high end cars but I'll give them a call.

Quick Reply: Window tinting