Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind noise from driver side window/door

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Wind noise from driver side window/door

While driving when the truck experiences the normal little bumps on a paved road or highway I get this noise that sounds like the seal is broken for a second and seals back up. So as your driving down the road it will keep happening over and over.

I have been observing it since I got the truck trying to put my finger on the cause. I don't think it is the door. I think the driver side window is somehow flexing against seal when there is a bump. On the highway it can be maddening with the normal little jiggles

Anyone else experience anything like this.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd check the door alignment, my truck is at the dealer for that (and a issue with the leather seats) and hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow. On mine, anytime I'd hit bumps I'd hear a rattle and would constantly hear air coming through the door.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:44 AM
LCW

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

The day I got mine I went for a long drive with the radio off. Quiet as can be. I didn't notice any wind or air leak noises. I was very impressed by how quiet is was.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hackker
I'd check the door alignment, my truck is at the dealer for that (and a issue with the leather seats) and hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow. On mine, anytime I'd hit bumps I'd hear a rattle and would constantly hear air coming through the door.
My door alignment actually looks pretty good.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 141 Likes on 84 Posts

Socal...my truck now with 500 miles just developed this. I noticed it on the highway this morning while driving to the bakery Easter. What you described is 100% what I'm experiencing. My door alignment looks fine to me as well.

I love this darn truck but this is going to drive me nuts.
The following users liked this post:
I-Can't-Drive-55 (06-16-2020)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope ford comes up with a fix for this. My truck has been in the shop 3 times and they tried adjusting the doors and then tried replacing the weather stripping. None of this helped. I think its a design flaw. I can put my fingers between the upper part of the door and the seal while riding and feel the movement of the door. I took a ride in a friend's 2014 and no movement at all....
The following users liked this post:
I-Can't-Drive-55 (06-16-2020)
Old 04-06-2015, 12:06 AM

As I mentioned earlier I have been monitoring this for a chunk of my miles now (1200) in hopes of finding the cause. While I don't have the smoking gun on the why yet, the tests I have done lead me to believe their is some sort of flexing or movement happening between the door and frame when even the smallest bump happens at speed. This causes a brief break in a seal. Is this a seal around the door or around the window itself? I don't know. What I do know is I can reduce the amount of seal breaks if I apply pressure with my hand outward on the window. Now to try pulling on the door inward at speed to see if this reduces. If the window outward push proves more effective I have to believe it is more window Seal related, if the pulling of the door reduces occurrence maybe it is more of the door seal. See i told you this noise is going to drive me crazy...LOL
Old 04-06-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 141 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't hear anything on the backroads I travel to work. They're certainly no smooth roads, but the speeds rarely get above 45mph. I've only experienced this while driving on the highway.

When I pull my door theres not flex/bounch or movement in it. If I push outward on the the upper part of my window, it does make a similar sound of the window moving away from the seal.

I'm starting to think this is more window/seal related than it door fitment.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 139 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by doolin64
I don't hear anything on the backroads I travel to work. They're certainly no smooth roads, but the speeds rarely get above 45mph. I've only experienced this while driving on the highway.

When I pull my door theres not flex/bounch or movement in it. If I push outward on the the upper part of my window, it does make a similar sound of the window moving away from the seal.

I'm starting to think this is more window/seal related than it door fitment.
Guys...I hardly ever sign on anymore, but did today and saw this. It's very likely the seal on the windshield near the top on the passenger side. If you're getting this noise intermittently at reasonable speed, that's what it is....Ford knows about it and has a fix. The regional cs manager told me just to call my dealer and they'll tale care of it. I haven't yet, but there is a whole thread on this a few months back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Misterwlm:
ManO'War (05-19-2016), Wayne33 (10-09-2019)
Old 04-06-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same problem with my 15 Platinum. I am dropping it off at the dealership on Wednesday and hopefully they can get it fixed up. Mine starts right around 60 mph. I get a whistle noise from the windshield and a lot of wind noise on the drivers side. It sounds like I have the window rolled down a little. I will try to upload a video I took so you can hear the noise it makes.

Edit-
https://vimeo.com/124244992?utm_sour...Z8NzcwMQ%3D%3D

Last edited by speedwayman12; 04-06-2015 at 05:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by speedwayman12:
I-Can't-Drive-55 (06-16-2020), itjdm0 (02-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Wind noise from driver side window/door